Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #23113

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96

stocktoy wrote: Just a thought here, before you pull head again did you set the valve clearance starting from the correct side of the engine. I know years back the first time I set the clearances I started from the wrong side of the engine and had similar results.

What do you mean? Clearance is clearance isn't it? Doesn't matter where you start surely. I checked all of them when I did the last correction...

I'll check again when I have the cover off, before I pull the head, but please can you explain?

Cheers

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #23114

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I think he's suggesting: if you set the crank position for checking the 1st cylinder but then checked the clearance for #6 then that would cause problems - although I don't see how you could check #6 at that point since the cams would obviously be in the wrong position.

Nothing to do with the current problem but I would suggest the method of checking valves as per the service manual is goofy. Easiest to set #1 to TDC (#1 cam lobes facing away from each other), check valves, then rotate #2 to TDC, check valves. then rotate #3 to TDC, check valves etc. etc. etc.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Last edit: by Bucko.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #23115

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Right, well, I checked each valve when the lobe was facing 'up', meaning the valve was as closed as it can be. It was not in any particular sequence, but I did start from T at the case split line and turned the engine forward from there and then as each lobe faced up, measured.

But obviously I b*ggered it up when I got the cam timing wrong and the valves interfered with each other, which may have caused damage. We'll see when the head comes off, but as said, I will check the clearances again, following the procedure described in the manual - just to be sure.

Paul

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #23131

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ok, took the oil out (clean, so I did something right), took off the head cover and measured the valves again. All perfectly within spec.

So next thing is to take the head off again and have a look.

I'll report back when I'm done.

Paul

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #23132

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89

McBoney wrote: ... measured the valves again. All perfectly within spec....

In my personal experience that is weird. If a valve is bent, it's usually really bent. Enough that it would have too much clearance at the lifter.

Are you sure both cams are properly timed?
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #23133

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Frank make's a good point here I might just stop a go and buy a leak down tester before going any further. (before pulling the head) You will need an air compressor to go with the leak down tester and not a big one. Something like 2 cubic feet per minute would be more than ample.

The compression numbers are lower than they should be considering that you also did the rings. #3 and #4 being at zero suggests something significant. Even the best cylinder at 95 is a concern. Up around 120 or 130 on a completely fresh ring and valve job would be expected.
I have to ask since I've seen this before. Did you by chance happen to change the schrader valve in your compression tester for a schrader valve from a tire valve? The schrader valves in compression testers are designed with a much lighter spring than a tire valve and can throw off compression reading by 30 to 50 psi

Just for verification see this Schrader valve /compression tool repair

Last edit: by Kawboy.
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds