Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #22801

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Wwwwhat??? That's not exactly what I was expecting to hear. I feel sorry for you. The head has to come off... I don't actually remember exactly but you might need to lift the block as well, but just a bit not all the way, so don't quote me on this at the moment. I will take a look at my parts later to remind myself how it goes. There is a small rubber dumper at the bottom that goes underneath the tensioner.

I'd like to hear how you installed it, maybe with a photo to document what not to do?

All I can do is wish you good luck at the moment... Maybe a good idea to leave for a couple days to distance yourself emotionally and rid of the feeling of urgency to have it taken care of and have all in order. Unless of course you like catching a second wind under stress.

STan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #22802

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Paul wroteI missed one throwaway comment on page 73 (installation note 3) of the manual, but in my defence, there is no schematic of how the chain is supposed to be guided (although I guess it should be obvious to the more knowledgeable).

Pic E98 shows the position of the chain. Sorry you missed this

If you failed to put the chain in the tensioner as shown in the pic, just the head needs to be pulled to correct.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #22805

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Just went back to revisit and I agree with Kawboy, sounds like you installed the chain guide in reverse. I actually did exactly the same when first mocking up after months of having it sit in a box without reading first. That other damper goes with the water pump chain. Funny how sometimes the simplest basic things can escape you! I must say that after this I was checking everything three time before bolting all up. Just to realize I forgot those two little rubber dampers under the shaft of the tensioner sprocket! SO I had to take the cylinder head off as well. I guess it's not a good idea putting an unfamiliar engine together while drinking! haha
I've done it right away - luckily I realized this error just minutes after tightening all bolts down. Being still in the groove, I did it right away and it went real fast. I don't want to exaggerate, but if it was off and back in longer than half an hour, it wasn't by too much.

Hope this will make you feel better.

Cheers!
Stan

Last edit: by StanG.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #22806

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96

Kawboy wrote:
Pic E98 shows the position of the chain. Sorry you missed this

Ah, I did see that pic, but as my copy of the manual is quite a bad one, you cannot actually see how it goes... its all a black blur.

Never mind. If just the head needs to come off, it is not too bad. Just hope I don't drop the two little rubbers into the motor when the head comes off and that the gasket can be re-used, but if in any doubt, I'll get a new one. It's been a week or two since it went on with liquid gasket on both sides, so hopefully that will make it easier and has preserved the gasket itself.

Cheers
Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #22808

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Now that this will be off with an easy access, have you thought about revisiting the valves and addressing those few with thin shims?

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #22809

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Myeah... I have, but with you telling me I'm good for another ten years, I really can't be bothered.

I now just want to get the engine buttoned up so I can get it in the frame and decide what I will be doing with that.

I am still negotiating with a guy who is willing to sell me the complete front end of a 2012 Ducati Multistrada, which includes gold usd Öhlins electronic forks with all the electronics that come with it, brakes, callipers, yokes and a 17 inch wheel for about USD 900. It is a lot of cash, but I still think a steal for what I get. Just need to see if I can swap over the steering pin.

Also still considering the rear frame mods to get the seat lowered, described elsewhere on the forum...

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds