Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #22770

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Ow shoot!

How do I check I have not damaged the camshaft??

I can't see any obvious scratches or indents..... roughest parts of the lobes is still the slight pitting left over from the rust that used to be on it...
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #22773

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

Kawboy wrote: OMG PAUL !!!
That hook tool is not a lever to push down the shim bucket. .

I have always used the 'hook tool' as a shim/bucket depressor (it's the recommended method for my 80's Hondas) and never had a problem damaging the cams. The depressor is used on the back side of the cam so there's little potential for damage to the cams and no chance it's going to damaged the hardened shims.

IMHO using a bucket depressor is much quicker, easier to set the bucket retaining tool, and a safer overall method of removing/replacing shims. The problem with rotating the cams to displace the shim/bucket is that it's easy to forget a shim is out of the head (i.e. with the bucket retainer in place) - rotating the cams with a shim missing will definitely cause damage to the cams (this is particularly an issue on 4 valve heads where the bucket keepers often keep two buckets depressed at once).
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #22776

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

exhaust shim size needed 240 250 255 245 245 255
intake shim size needed 245 240 255 220 235 220

Looking at your numbers, I'd like to reiterate the idea, or method, of adding some valve stem grinding to valve clearance adjustment. When the valve seats were done, they 'sank' deeper onto the engine head. With time as they brake in and later with mileage, that will change again. You have a couple very low numbers - 220, and the rest revolves around average 245. What you will have of course will work very well. But thinking ahead, it would be good to shave off some of the stems and insert thicker shims. WHy? Because the engine is disassembled now. In the future, you'd keep on adjusting just changing shims for much longer without reaching the limits. And what if you hit the limit? The head will have to go off again, a big job that would include grinding those valve stems to keep you going and new shimming again. In other words, double work just to be where you are now. What I suggested is the shop doing this aiming at thicker shims installed, like 265 or 280 let's say, with some grinding. Now with all already together it would be pain in the butt of course, not mentioning extra money if the head gasket can't be reused, so I'm not suggesting removing the head again. It just would had been cheaper and more efficient had it been done already. If you want to enjoy the bike without a long term planning, you will still have a lot of miles keeping it as is, so I wouldn't panic. Just thought I'd mention this for the bigger picture.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #22777

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Stan,

When you mentioned this first time round I did think about going back to get the valve stems ground a little, but as the engine is together now and considering the relatively easy run I had doing that, I'm loath to take it all apart again.

Once it is done I will be doing less than 3000 miles per year on this.... so I think I won't hit the limits for a long time... and then I might enjoy taking the head off again.

But bigger picture you are of course absolutely right!

Paul

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #22778

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Without using the 'quote' tags, haha, I think you covered all the ends well Paul! I really like the part about enjoying a tear down at one point, when the time comes! :)
I'd be curious myself how it looks. Actually, just after a 1000 on mine, I already am! That's why I couldn't stop myself from trying to use the parts I have towards another bike project. I like creating and improving.

I think you will be good for at least 10 years!

Cheers,
Stan

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #22800

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Sh*tsh*tsh*tsh*t! B*ggerb*ggerb*gger!!!!

When looking into the hole where the cam chain tensioner goes, I saw the chain rather than the metal of the guide!

AAAAAARGHH!

I installed it wrongly.

I missed one throwaway comment on page 73 (installation note 3) of the manual, but in my defence, there is no schematic of how the chain is supposed to be guided (although I guess it should be obvious to the more knowledgeable).

It all has to come apart again.

:(

Only upside is that I discovered it now rather than on start-up, .... but that really is the ONLY upside.

Dejected from London.

Last edit: by McBoney.
Time to create page: 0.459 seconds