Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22581

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Right! Well,.... as doddles go, this was a good one!

Just two zip ties on each corner stud, using the bevel at the beginning of the lining and a lot of oil and gentle tapping and finger pressing and keeping the pistons straight.... it just slowly slid on! :cheer:

All done. Prep 30 mins (mainly cleaning and oiling), block on and pistons in another 30 mins or so. Biggest issue was that I had not inserted the water pump gear before putting the block on, so I had to lift it back up again just enough so I could get my hand underneath to hold the gear whilst inserting the shaft. Fortunately that could be done without slipping any of the rings out. However, top tip: insert the water pump chain shaft before you slide the cylinder tub on! (doh!)

The tub still needed some gentle persuasion with the wooden end of a heavy hammer to slot into the two corner stud rings, but that was it!

I also had a little trouble getting the water pump chain on the sprocket, but the trick there is to engage the sprocket with the chain first and only then attempt to slot it onto the shaft. Then you can turn the engine to get the pin in the sprocket aligned with its home in the shaft.

Hereunder the story in pics.

Fingers all in one piece!:P
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22582

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Engine casing prepped: O rings, gasket, stud rings on the corner and zip ties on corner studs, chains through the gap, lost of oil and rings 'clocked properly.

Block on

Piston rings 3 and 4 in (this was after about a minute!)

Then 5 and 2

All done!

And the remaining stuff also done

Next is attaching the block to the casing using the 4 bolts at the rear - I had forgotten to paint those, so they are now drying - and insert the chain tensioner slides etc.

Then time to put the head on, but first read up if there is anything else I need to do first.

Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22583

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ok, carried on with the head. I inserted chain guides, the roller and the two rubber bungs, facing UP, oiled them. Prepared the gasket with a very minimal coating of liquid gasket both sides and dropped it on. Then the head went on and I torqued the bolts. Finally put the top cover on for added dust protection until I can carry on with the camshafts etc.

Looking good (I think!) ;)

Paul
Attachments:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22586

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Looking great Paul! And it went very smooth for you from what I hear. Definitely helps to have the engine on a bench for easy access. I was doing mine inside the frame, it's more tricky.

Just to check on you - did you remember to put those two little rubber dampers? I forgot mine and had to remove the head again after it was already torqued with camshafts installed! It went smooth and not a big deal having just done it a few moments earlier.

I guess next photos will have the camshaft installed!

One last thing - I am not sure if the engine can go in the frame with the oil pan installed, so perhaps it's good to leave it off or not permanently bolted. You should double check it with other who have done it this way.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22587

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Cheers Stan, no I did not forget those. I forgot a more obvious thing - the water pump chain shaft! But as yo say, no big deal.

Yes, camshafts next, but that will be a while as I am going to Germany for a few days, see my mom. Back on 30th.

Paul

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22589

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Cheers, great! I had a hell of a time putting that chain on the sprocket. Drove me crazy but finally it slipped on. Very tight place indeed.

Have a save trip and see you later!

Stan

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds