Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 4 months ago #22423

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

will incur a daily £12 (= USD 15) for the privilege of riding in Central London

pre-1979 bikes are exempt

Wow! What a money grab! It's like all the carbon taxes. And where it goes, what is it spend on? What a pile of twisted reasoning and laws... In other words, those who have money are just fine polluting, those who can't afford are fed the 'make the air and environment' sermons, to fool them into feeling good about themselves by believing they are saving the planet. On top of that, the big hype about the new Euro 6 emission standards with some very modern bikes getting out of production because of it, yet old pre 79 bikes are fine? Just a money grab, like here. Not much of it goes directly back into really saving the world. Same Humane Society. Quote: 'Unfortunately, according to Humane Watch, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) spent less than 1 percent of their budget on operations involving local humane societies and animal shelters.'.

Enough of the morning rant, but this kind of establishment sleazy shit just ticks me off. Bloody daylight robbery.

This is a short list, but there is a more comprehensive list of KZ1300 years by VIN.

Type A1 1979: frame number from KZT30A-000101, engine number from KZT30A-E000101
Type A2 1980: frame number from KZT30A-006201, engine number from KZT30A-E05801
Type A3 1981: frame number from KZT30A-011501, engine no. From KZT30A-E12401
Type A4 1982: frame number from KZT30A-014101, engine no. From KZT30A-E14801
Type A5 1983: frame number from KZT30A-015901, engine no. From KZT30A-E16401
Type ZG1300-A1 1984/1985: Frame number from ZGT30A-000001
Type ZG1300-A2 1986 to 1989: frame number from ZGT30A-002801

There is a service in the UK if I remember it correctly, where they print exact copies of the VIN sticker. Mine got trashed when sand blasting and powder coating, but I have a photo. In my case, I'd like to print it on this side of the pond. I have a photo and I'm very handy with Photoshop, so maybe I'll just do the image myself and ask a shop to print it on a sticker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 4 months ago #22424

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I think the 3 holes is not a deal breaker. Better than none! Glad you are getting these things sorted out.

I wonder why your machinist has problems with drilling. Aluminum is soft, with lubrication and cleaning the drill back and forth takes more time but if all is secure shouldn't be huge hassle. I'd probably first machine a piston holder, maybe a pin to clamp it down and move around when drilling holes on a lathe or mill. I've seen such things done this way on Youtube.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 4 months ago #22429

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Does that pre-79 mean pre-79 production or pre-79 model year?

Last edit: by Frank833.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 4 months ago #22432

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Thanks Stan, I wrote a rant as well, but decided to not post it. People all around London feel like this. No point, no one in government listens.. :(

Anyway, They said they did a special clamp and lubricated etc etc, but still then lost two bits... unwilling to risk more.

Mine is definitely an A1 being no 5522, but no clearer on exact date of manufacture.

Frank, the actual date of manufacture is what it gets decided on. I used to have an MGB and the production spans three decades, but only those cars produced before the cut-off date (40 years old rolling) were exempt. So in 2020 a 1979 bike will be OK as it was produced before 1st Jan 1980. Means I have one year of not riding, or sell the KZ1000p and get something else in the meantime (I have my eye on my friend's Goldwing, but that is an early yellow one and is expensive!)

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 4 months ago #22434

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I will let you know if I'd dig anything out that would clarify the actual manufacturing date. The date was shown on my sticker, and foolishly taking the photos I cut that off.
I remember someone said that the written date is the assembly date, not the actual date when the bike was made. It clearly says 'made in Japan' on mine, and it's a CA - Canadian model from what I understand. I don't think there were made or assembled here. So, just like you are saying, your 79 bike might be actually made earlier.

Since you mentioned a Goldwing, here is mine - 1983 GL1100 A. This is the one I'd like to exchange for a Voyager, if a good one shows up at a very good price.
I must say that this bike is a head turner number one. I think its because they were so popular as true cruising bikes of the past, so many people know and remember them. And there are not many on the road these days, and if then not as shiny as this one. So I get lots of complements. Just so you could compare, and I am curious about the prices in Europe as well, converting currency I paid for this one 1800 pounds. Had about 52k km on it.

Attachments:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 4 months ago #22436

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Ah, I might still have that sticker on the bike... is it the white one on the front RH side? I'll have a look in the morning, it is dark and raining here now.. :pinch:

That is a beauty! The one I am eyeing is a very early one - plain jane, 1000cc, chrome spoke wheels. For quick values, check out UK eBay, or carandclassic...

Also been thinking about tyre sizes. The look I want to achieve is that both trees look the same (fat) size... I was looking at one bike I like and it seems to have Battle Wing BW 502 tyres on it - 140-80. The front must be a non-original wheel as I count nine spokes rather than the standard seven, and these tyres do not come in a 18 inch.

I'm not sure what is the max size one can put on standard the front rim.... to achieve the look as if they are the same size as the rear with above tire on it.

Maybe I can convert another rear wheel to a front to have same-size tyres on and compensate ride height with slightly longer forks? Lots of work on getting the two brake discs fitted required I guess... maybe easier to find another 17 inch front wheel that looks little like the standard KZ1300 wheel...

There is a 4 page thread of yours on tire sizes, but it was not clear what size you went with in the end.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Last edit: by McBoney.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds