Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Before and After 5 years 7 months ago #21142

• PKZ1300
  • PKZ1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
I was trying to post some pictures of my Z1300 before and after but my computer blocks the attachment function. So I have posted some on my facebook site - Brisbane Classic Motorcycle Collection. I have to thank some of the team on here for providing the tips to return the beast to it's normal appearance. Still a bit to do - a tune being the main thing. But also the neutral light is absent and the fuel tank sender is reading dodgy (not good on the Z1300 I would suggest) plus a number of other minor annoyances. The pleasing thing was not only how easy it was to remove the carbies but also that the bike has stopped wet sumping itself (like curing incontinence for motorcycles).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy, StanG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Before and After 5 years 7 months ago #21147

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
PK I'm curious what you mean by wet-sumping?

The Z13 is a wet sump design, so can't over-oil, so was yours a fuel / oil contamination problem?

Richard.
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PKZ1300

Before and After 5 years 7 months ago #21163

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Looks pretty nice!
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Before and After 5 years 7 months ago #21169

• PKZ1300
  • PKZ1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Wet sumping is a term I picked up from the UK bike press about when a bike fills it's sump with petrol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Before and After 5 years 7 months ago #21170

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Looking good!
I have a question. Unless you sourced them locally, could you point me to the source of the horns? They are aftermarket, I am looking for a pair as well.

Before and After 5 years 7 months ago #21176

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Understood PK.

I think you're right in the origin, many of the old Brit bike designs were in effect 'dry-sumped' and scavenged oil from a very small sump volume into a resevoir when running, and had various odd oil pumps, twin chamber, plunger vs. rotor etc., all sound a bit weird and fortunately before my time!

The wet-sumping term came about when worn dry-sump pumps / clearances allowed oil to drain down from the resevoir to the scavenge sump overnight, with the higher oil level then causing problems (bad breathing, smoke, oiled plugs etc.) when starting up in the morning.

I thibk the term gets mixed up with fuel contamination in wet-sumped designs, as although it's another oil-level related thing, I think the risk of mechanical damage from the fuel / oil dilution is far more serious!

I'm on the brink of stripping my engine just now, with low compression on cylinders 1 - 3 being 99% diagnosed as fuel hydro-locking and bent rods following carb leaking on the left bank, still haven't made my mind up if it'd been better to make it's way to the sump instead!
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds