Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Time for the big boy to come out to play 5 years 8 months ago #20578

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
"Seafoam": The white frothy bubbles produced by the bow-wake of a Large freighter transporting Canadian Wood pulp to the United Kingdom. 

where's all those silly Emojis when you need them !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The topic has been locked.

Time for the big boy to come out to play 5 years 8 months ago #20579

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
If I know that I'll be using something with an engine and gastank within a week, I won't put in the Sta-bil 360. But if I know the same fuel will not be used within the week, in goes the Sta-bil. It's ok for the ethanol to absorb moisture ( remember when we used to put gasoline antifreeze in the fuel tank in the late fall to early spring?) It's only when the ethanol reaches saturation and becomes disassociated with the fuel that we have a problem.
There is a testing kit available for checking the ethanol content in fuel. It is a 100 ml graduated cylinder to which you add a portion of gasoline and water. Then shake up the cylinder and check. The ethanol will absorb water to the point of saturation and when it does, it separates from the fuel and sits as a milky white fluid at the bottom of the graduated  cylinder. You then take a reading in ml's and compare to the original volume to get the percentage of ethanol to fuel. Good test to do when you bought fuel that was sold as ethanol free fuel.

Time for the big boy to come out to play 5 years 8 months ago #20581

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
Gasoline / petrol with ethanol is sh*** !  Apart from the damage it can do to parts of the fuel system and  the moisture issue, engine performance can be markedly affected for the worse.   I had to deliver a Porsche 911 Carrera 'S'  to the south of France,and got most of the way to my destination using the Shell Optimax 97  ( no ethanol ) I filled it with in England.   Fabulous engine performance, until I stopped for fuel in France, and had no choice but to use E10, 10% ethanol.  The engine immediately lost its sparkling performance;  without question, it did not have the zip and zing which was evident with the Optimax.  The engine management system, I guess, must have adjusted the ignition timing to compensate for the lower fuel quality. 
Fortunately, in Britain we can still buy fuel without ethanol, which I hope will be the case for a long time to come!      
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG
Last edit: by biltonjim.

Time for the big boy to come out to play 5 years 8 months ago #20585

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Reading the feedback, combined with my experience, it's clear to me to stick to the expensive ethanol free fuel. If it cost $2 extra a fill up, so be it. No second-guessing, and doing the math ten re-fuelings would set me back one extra full tank. In the overall scheme of things, I have no problem with this. So much work and money spent on the bike, it just deserves it and doesn't deserve money pinching when it comes to maintenance! Like delaying oil changes, or not filling it up with shit fuel is part of the proper maintenance.
So yes, no ethanol containing gas will ever go into my bike, it will get a treatment of Seafoam or Marvel Mystery oil every 3-4 fill ups, and I will carry Stabil 360 with me for the rare occasions when I have no choice but fill up with regular gas somewhere in the middle of nowhere and having a few more days of riding ahead of me. Or I need to park the bike for more than a week. But from my experience with the Honda, this shouldn't even be a problem if using ethanol free gas consistently, as I had been starting the Honda on the first revolution after a month of sitting.
Time to create page: 0.332 seconds