Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

My KZ1300-A4 10 years 1 month ago #1762

• propforward
  • propforward's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
My ebay cylinder block arrived yesterday! The cylinders are all rusty, but I don't care about that because the only part I am interested in is the plastic water pump gear, which looks to be in great shape. I soaked it all in penetrating lubricant last night, so tonight hopefully I can get it all apart. It wasn't all seized up, just gummy and dirty, should come apart OK and clean up a treat.

:woohoo:

Pretty happy about that, looks like I'll get going on cleanup and reassembly soon. I'll post a couple of pictures later.
Eggs and Bacon - a days work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by propforward.

My KZ1300-A4 10 years 1 month ago #1768

• propforward
Well, here it is. I got to work on this rusty old cylinder block tonight.

I only bought them because of this assembly.

I was a bit worried when I bought this set of jugs off ebay, because of the rust in the bores - so I wasn't sure exactly what shape the pump drive gear would be in. However, the gear and the drive shaft for it both had a nice greasy smear of oil on them and on their bearing surfaces, and both components are actually in superb condition.

A little dirty at the moment, but no wear on the teeth, and not much discolouration of the nylon, so I suspect that this does not have many miles on it at all. :woohoo:

I am happy as heck. There is absolutely no wear on either the shaft or the plastic gear, so I am off to the races as they say. I did a quick test fit in the cylinders from my bike, and the shaft and gear fit a treat. They spin nicely, and there is no play. I am thrilled to bits about this.

So I have a set of rusty cylinders if anyone wants them for a big bore project or something.

My KZ1300-A4 10 years 1 month ago #1769

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Ebay, it's a Love Hate relationship isn't it.

Nice when we find that low cost item that gets our bike back on the road, but hate getting gouged for those overpriced items.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your top-end project.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

My KZ1300-A4 10 years 1 month ago #1770

• propforward
That's the truth! Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. This was a good find - thanks to strate6 for the help on that.

Now I can go and spend more money :silly: on the mechanical seal etc and so forth, and get to work cleaning and checking in readiness for assembly.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds