Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New to me Neglected Kz1300B 5 years 11 months ago #19778

• maniac1886
  • maniac1886's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
3 new coils arrived in the mail today. aw82-tri from a goldwing. Havent gotten a chance to ohm them out though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to me Neglected Kz1300B 5 years 11 months ago #19788

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Interested what yours will read and what will you do. I am at the same stage with coils needing a confirmation from an expert what they would do. Here are what mine read:

The BMW coils Kawboy mentioned - I found them on eBay. These are 0.4 Ohm, but they also have higher values. Since my coils measure 2.2, and I can't find a 0.3 or 0.2 Ohm resistor, I'm wondering what to do and will do some calculations.
The stock coils are fine according to the service manual if they measure 1.2 - 1.9 Ohm. My stock coils measure 1.6 Ohm each and they look good. The bad thing is I need to replace the HT leads, so I can't used them. The also have all the rubber boots in a very bad shape.

These eBay resistors are much more than the $12 Kawboy mentioned. Where did you get yours?

MERCEDES BENZ BALLAST RESISTOR 0001582045 ( 0.4 OHM )

Attachments:

Last edit: by StanG.

New to me Neglected Kz1300B 5 years 11 months ago #19792

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I made a few measurements and calculations, not sure if they are correct or I am missing something. I'm somewhat confused. Maybe I forgot all the basics of electricity!

The manual shows the coils should be between 1.2 - 1.9. I measure the stock balance resistor - all three measure 1.7 Ohm.
This brings the numbers to 2.9 - 3.6 OK range. My stock coils are 1.6, totaling 3.3. Withing range.

Now, if a coil is 2.0, adding 0.5 will bring the number to 2.5. That's lower than 2.9.

So, if my coil is 2.2, shouldn't I replace the stock resistor portion one with let's say 0.8, to bring it to 3.0? Or even higher. let's say around 1.0 - 1.2 to bring it to 3.2 - 3.4 range?

Those wires on the stock coil measuring each 1.7 Ohm split going each to each separate coil, right? There is no cumulative 3 x 1.7= 5.1, right?

So, I don't understand why are we searching for the 2.5 Ohm spot. My other coils measuring 2.7 Ohm would need 0.5 resistors to make the 3.3 Ohm spot, where the stock 1.6 with 1.7 Ohm are.

New to me Neglected Kz1300B 5 years 11 months ago #19794

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
NAPA auto parts

New to me Neglected Kz1300B 5 years 11 months ago #19800

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Cool. So, what's about the above numbers?

New to me Neglected Kz1300B 5 years 11 months ago #19801

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
These coils have whopping out put , are small ,will fit original location . I've had mine for about 10 years . They are big with the Harley crowd.

www.kz1300.com/index.php/forum/electrica...il-mounting-brackets

Nology also make these plug wires . I did buy a set , but they caused havoc with my electronic dash board

www.nology.com/hot.html
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds