TOPIC:

Progress so far. 6 years 3 months ago #18340

• mizztheman
  • mizztheman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 81
Hi Jim,

Ive decided to go with Avon Roadriders. I’ve got them on the Suzuki GT750 and can certainly recommend them. www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorbike/z-1300-dfi

The company I use for ceramic coating is here camcoat.com/main/
They have many different colours and types of finishes including cerachrome. Have a look at their picture gallery showing its use on engines. I’ve had the exhaust collers polished and clear coated in a ceramic coating. I’ll post a photo later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim, Kawboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mizztheman.

Progress so far. 6 years 3 months ago #18342

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
mizztheman, thank you, that's great info and the photos make it so clear to me! :) I will have to source these things locally on the other side of the Atlantic. It will take me one more step towards the spark in the engine. I am also convinced about ceramic coating the exhaust collectors as you did. Dome once properly and they should last much longer. Lots of salt here on the roads in winter. I wouldn't probably ride much the KZ in cold weather, I have 'boat' for that (GL1100), but there is so much rain here and it always drip down to the pipes. my bikes sit outside, so it makes even more sense.

Jim - I talked to a local ceramic and powder coating guy whom I don't know, but a person who had his bikes done there recommended him to me. After all the paint drama I wanted to bite the bullet and have it coated. He said it can be done, but ceramic coating is better because of much better heat exchange. It's also very durable. So, for engine block and head he recommended ceramic coating. In this process, just like with powder coating, they need to heat treat it at 400F. He said it's too much for seals and rubbers, so the part has to be completely stripped from everything right to bare metal. According to him, cylinder sleeves would have to come out to remove the o-rings. I question this a bit because people powder coat and never remove the sleeves, but that's what he said.

I considered ceramic coating the exhaust pipes, and it's quite cheap these days. I was told $23.50 Canadian per foot. But you'd have to strip the chrome, nickel and copper to bare metal, treat, and at the end here, where I do it, the price of chrome would be the same as ceramic coating. My pipes are double walled, original, so I decided to chrome pate them.

mizztheman, did you do anything about the inside of the collectors, pipes and mufflers? Mine were quite rusty. I sand blasted the inside - it was quite a sight seeing the mufflers blowing the beads and rust from the end like if it was a doomsday machine! haha It took a long time to vacuum and shake out whatever was left there later. I am sure most of the rust came out.
Did you think about protecting the insides as well? Obviously it did and will rust because moisture gets trapped there with all the heat fluctuations and humidity. I think stopping this process in an old already rusty mufflers, and protecting them is vital. I thought about spraying there inside with high heat paint. It will bake when run.
Have you thought about it guys?
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Progress so far. 6 years 3 months ago #18348

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Thanks for the information, mizztheman.

Stan, I think it would be nearly impossible to clean all the inside surfaces of the mufflers sufficiently to ensure a good bond for the paint. Years ago, I took the mufflers off my XS Eleven, and filled them with the heaviest gear oil I could get, then drained it out. I thought, in my ignorance, that the oil residue would bake on the insides and slow down the corrosion process. I was wrong! For many miles afterwards, the bike emitted a fine mist of oil, blown from the mufflers as they heated up, and coating the back end of the bike. What a mess, and the mufflers rusted all the same! So for my - as yet awaiting restoration - KZ1300, I've bitten the bullet and bought a pair of Lare's beautiful stainless steel mufflers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Progress so far. 6 years 3 months ago #18350

• mizztheman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Here’s the photos of the exhaust collars which have been polished then ceramic clear coated.
Stan, I’m not too concerned about the inside of the collector boxes or the silencers and I’m not going to make any attempt to try halt the corrosion from the inside out. My belief is if the bike is used on a regular basis allowing the engine to get up to operating temperature and kept in a warmish garage then corrosion should be relatively slow.

I think if the bike is used on short runs and not not allowed to get up to temperature, you get condensation forming in the collector boxes and silencers which accelerates the corrosion issue. Climate also has an impact.

As I’m a summer rider I don’t expect this to be an issue. However, everyone to their own and you should do what you feel is right taking into account how you are going to use the bike and the conditions you are using it. Good luck with the restoration and keep the posts coming. I’m sure it’s providing loads of inspiration for others including me.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Last edit: by mizztheman.

Progress so far. 6 years 3 months ago #18351

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I had no idea clear ceramic coating exists! All this is really encouraging :)
I totally understand what you are saying about inside of mufflers. I've never even thought about it with the bikes I ride regularly, even in winter when possible.
The concern with this one I have it's been sitting for maybe 20 years, and I removed a handful of rust from the mufflers. I don't want the corrosion to continue - I just spent a fortune on chrome plating them. Sorry for sounding like I'm trying to beat on a dead horse, haha But thanks to this I am learning new things and getting an idea about the action plan.

Jim, if it ever comes to it, the stainless steel mufflers sound like a good option. I am trying to rescue and preserve mine. I might spray something down those pipes after all, just for the peace of mind. I have no problem with some smoke for a few minutes. But for sure I want be pouring oil there! I am trying to find a way to stabilize the metal inside the mufflers. I am sure there must be something that museums do to fragile old machinery to stabilize vulnerable compromised parts. Perhaps metal coating using electrolysis?
On the side note, I am torn because when I look at those old abandoned parts, which look ugly, I just feel sorry for them and almost feel their pain, if that makes sense. Seeing them shed that ugliness, seeing how glorious they look and knowing they will experience the wind and be part of a breathing machinery, makes me want to do all I can to make it happen. The other angle is prices. The Canadian dollar is so low comparing tho Euro and Pounds, the exchange rate just puts a lot of things into super expensive and not affordable bracket. Multiply by a bunch of parts, and it adds up. So yeah, I have to balance this thing out. I spear the details on the forum, but I am about four times over budget already! Glad to see the end of my project in sight.

Mizztheman - sorry for a couple of long paragraphs on your project thread! Just trying to get ideas into fruition. You'all all see what I am doing on my thread. More coming pretty soon!
Stan
The following user(s) said Thank You: mizztheman

Progress so far. 6 years 3 months ago #18398

• mizztheman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
A bit more progress over the holiday but not as much as I would have liked due to coming down with some kind of virus. Anyway, feeling a bit better the last few days so decided to do a bit more on the bike. Exhausts fitted without too much of a problem and it was actually a shame to fit the radiator as it blocks the view of the six pipes which looks quite awesome without the radiator in the way. Radiator has been refitted along with new silicone hoses and new stainless grill. Radiator was painted satin black. That top clip proved a bit of a problem as if it’s not in the right position the clip catches the frame and stops the radiator from sitting correctly on the cushion. Was it me or the virus that had me struggling to locate it correctly. Probably the virus!!!!

Fitted the front mudguard which was painted by a local guy whose done other bikes for me in the past. The tank is also painted but in the house keeping warm. Put fresh oil in the bike and managed to spin the engine over to get the oil around what has been a dry engine for the last six months. Not quite ready to try and start the bike as there appears to be be a few electrical gremlins which I need to look at another day.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds