Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Its nice to be back 6 years 8 months ago #17022

• kwakka
  • kwakka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
I've just re-registered after all the recent issues with viruses and such so it's good to be back. During the absence I started on a cosmetic resto of my A5 which is basically turning into an engine in frame resto. It sort of got derailed by me setting fire to my Hailwood Replica but that is now almost complete so it's back to the Z1300. I've been buying up assorted bits and pieces over the last several months including a bunch of stuff from the guys in Finland which turned up and looks great. Cleaning up the wiring from years of abuse has been a challenge. One thing that has me intrigued is where the fuel valve mounts. I know people have different views on these things but given I have had several wet sumpings I am keen to put it on. Plus I am an originality freak so it suits OK!! Can someone please guide me on where I should mount the valve. I am about to remove the carbies for a good clean and rebuild, get assorted callipers and bits painted and then it will be reassembly time. I'm getting quite excited on how it will look when finished. The ebony paint job looks a treat. I will post photos when I get back into reassembly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Its nice to be back 6 years 8 months ago #17028

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Nice to hear you're back. Sorry to hear of the Hailwood fire. I would be curious to hear the "Story" if you'd care to tell. One thing that comes to mind is making myself aware of the location of the fire extinguisher in the garage "just in case". It also makes me look at the dial is see that it's primed and ready to go which is not a bad thing.
And YES, it would be nice to see some pics, both of the Hailwood and the A5. EYE CANDY and lots of it please !!!!

Its nice to be back 6 years 8 months ago #17030

• kwakka
The fire - I was kicking the bike to start and had a backfire which blew off the rear carburettor and pulled off the fuel line. At the same time there was a flame back through the inlet manifold and wumphf (that's what it sounded like). So being the dimwit I am I threw a sheet on the fire to try and smother it and that caught fire (it was cotton.....). I then pushed the bike over on its side to stop the flames going up under the bike - in the meantime I was also yelling to my other half to grab the fire extiguisher which was just inside the back door. She eventually found it and fire was out in a couple of seconds. The insurance company paid me out as an uneconomic repar which was interesting as by the time they paid me it was stripped and I had most of the bits to repair it. I would say the fire retardant did as much damage as the fire - very good at rusting bolts and alloys. The bike is off having an electronic ignition fitted and I pick up the bodywork this weekend. Should be all back together by the end of August.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Its nice to be back 6 years 8 months ago #17031

• kwakka
Here is some pictures of the Hailwood pre fire
Attachments:

Its nice to be back 6 years 8 months ago #17050

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Nice Duc ! Nasty business, that retardant. Glad to hear it was relatively minor and going back together. I have a 2 & 5lb ABC at opposite ends of my shop. I hope I never have to use them but they're serviced every year and are ready if needed.
Hmmmmm...........A fire-suppression system ! I'm "on it" Kawboy !:woohoo:
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Its nice to be back 6 years 8 months ago #17054

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

scotch wrote: Nice Duc ! Nasty business, that retardant. Glad to hear it was relatively minor and going back together. I have a 2 & 5lb ABC at opposite ends of my shop. I hope I never have to use them but they're serviced every year and are ready if needed.
Hmmmmm...........A fire-suppression system ! I'm "on it" Kawboy !:woohoo:

It almost wants to make you rethink the ABC extinguishers and maybe go to CO2 extinguishers. Less mess. CO2 is good for flammable liquids Type B and electrical Type C fires. Maybe the plan should be to have a CO2 fire extinguisher available just for vehicle fires in and around the shop . That will be my plan. Still keep a dry chem for the Type A fires Paper wood (solid combustibles)
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Last edit: by Kawboy.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds