Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 7 months ago #21274

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Mine has those valves and the hoses, all connected. That thing takes up quite a lot of space! People had been using JB Weld and other means to plug those holes and get rid of the emission control set up.
There was a whole discussion about taking care of this. When taking apart this one I got really surprised that actually such thing exists, and factory made by Kawasaki! I looked at dozens of covers on eBay over more than one year period, and I have never seen these, even once. Even well seasoned KZ1300 users on this forum never mentioned this. So, I thin I discovered an Eastern Egg, if no better way to describe it. And learning from this, there seems to be no need plugging those holes right in the cylinder head with JB Weld. I'd suggest making those flat plates which go in place of reed valves, and just plugging the holes in the reed valve covers. I think this could be done with a dead end adequate size hose plug. It could go over a metal one, like those used to plug holes for aesthetic reason.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 7 months ago #21275

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
yes it's all US (Cali?) emissions stuff, never seen it on Euro models.

The blanking plug are a good idea Stan, and save having the breather hose rubbing against the HT leads.
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 7 months ago #21289

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

StanG wrote: I see we are competing who will post first! hahahaha

Right direction Kawboy, and scotch missed it! The truth is, it's original Kawasaki made, I guess for models which didn't need the emission control. It came of a never opened before cover. The plate is also of course original factory made Kawi. So, the factory was producing alternative covers with these holes blocked and a plate which would be placed instead of the reed valves. There is a gasket under the plate, and nothing else is blocked so the chamber is just dirty with some carbon.
Something I had no idea existed, and it seems like the exhaust mod is as simple as installing these, and have all factory made original at the same time!

Canadian market KZ1300's had these plates and covers with the bung not drilled out - at least the 1979 models did. At one time I had a motor from a later Canadian model - maybe an 81 or 82 - which also had these covers.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 7 months ago #21291

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Interesting.. Looking at the parts on Kawasaki website I can see them and make sense of what they are. But looking at many covers on eBay, this one is the first one I'v ever seen like this.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 7 months ago #21292

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

StanG wrote: But looking at many covers on eBay, this one is the first one I'v ever seen like this.

That's because almost all the bits you see on eBay are from bikes that come from the US which (I think) had the full reed valve exhaust plumbing
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 7 months ago #21303

• LareNurminen
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 162
I removed the useless valve and plugged the holes with conical rubber caps. The caps I secured with thick heat shrink tubing. Been there for seven years, given no trouble.
The plug for the valve is handy for all kinds of auxiliary items. I connected a cigarette lighter to it, feeds my navigator. Turns off when key turned to stop and is factory fused plug.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raygun

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds