Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 6 months ago #21258

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Well, yeah, pretty self explanatory by now about the 'choke', mode, smoke, new vs. old, enrichment by now. I know now what's happening around this bend and how to tickle it at this stage. More questions might arise as thou shall progress and thee shall present a new puzzle!

A little 'interesting' riddle for scotch. What is this? Of course I do know! haha

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 6 months ago #21260

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
I'm sensing I've missed the joke here, but surely a choke is and always was a fuel-enricher?!

Decades ago I read somewhere that cold starts needed an air/fuel ratio of around 5:1, compared to 25:1 normal running.

OK, now I'm bracing myself to be told I'm being incredibly slow to catch on.. :(
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 6 months ago #21263

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Well it's obviously some kind of cooking utensil because it clearly says "Pan". Fancy Poached eggs !:woohoo:
Or, could be a reed-valve lid from the cam cover.
Lets see how many more names we can come up with for our various parts. You know - for clarity :evil:
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 6 months ago #21264

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Nice job blocking off that 13mm hole in the cover. I had to pull up a picture of the cover from a previous post to see what was suppose to be in the " roof of the cover" and.....

What did you use? The aluminum solder that melts at 600 F ?

Attachments:

Last edit: by Kawboy.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 6 months ago #21265

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Decades ago I read somewhere that cold starts needed an air/fuel ratio of around 5:1, compared to 25:1 normal running.

From Wikipedia:
The stoichiometric mixture for a gasoline engine is the ideal ratio of air to fuel that burns all fuel with no excess air. For gasoline fuel, the stoichiometric air–fuel mixture is about 14.7:1[1] i.e. for every one gram of fuel, 14.7 grams of air are required. The fuel oxidation reaction is:
25 O2 + 2 C8H18 → 16 CO2 + 18 H2O + energy
Any mixture greater than 14.7:1 is considered a lean mixture; any less than 14.7:1 is a rich mixture – given perfect (ideal) "test" fuel (gasoline consisting of solely n-heptane and iso-octane). In reality, most fuels consist of a combination of heptane, octane, a handful of other alkanes, plus additives including detergents, and possibly oxygenators such as MTBE (methyl tert-butyl ether) or ethanol/methanol. These compounds all alter the stoichiometric ratio, with most of the additives pushing the ratio downward (oxygenators bring extra oxygen to the combustion event in liquid form that is released at time of combustions; for MTBE-laden fuel, a stoichiometric ratio can be as low as 14.1:1). Vehicles that use an oxygen sensor or other feedback loop to control fuel to air ratio (lambda control), compensate automatically for this change in the fuel's stoichiometric rate by measuring the exhaust gas composition and controlling fuel volume. Vehicles without such controls (such as most motorcycles until recently, and cars predating the mid-1980s) may have difficulties running certain fuel blends (especially winter fuels used in some areas) and may require different jets (or otherwise have the fueling ratios altered) to compensate. Vehicles that use oxygen sensors can monitor the air–fuel ratio with an air–fuel ratio meter.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 6 months ago #21266

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
The usual choke enriches mixture by restricting air, thus the name 'choke'. These on KZ introduce more fuel instead. In my case, the extra mod creates extra vacuum drawing more fuel, making it super rich and smoking when burnt. I guess scotch is rolling his eyes and punching a table reading this, lol

Ideal stoic air fuel ratio is 14.64. Below this is rich, above is lean. From what I've read, for best power on 4 stroke it's best to run on the rich side, somewhere in the 12.8 - 13.5 range, depending on desired best power or torque in connection to rpm's. For best fuel economy a bit lean. There is a whole science behind this and industry tweaking engines on a dyno and playing with the curves. From what I gather, smoke would be coming out around 10 and lower. I'm talking about a carbureted engine.

Scotch, I wouldn't mess with your creativity, you gotta make up your own name! LOL I'll go along with it.
Here another shot of the cover and a plate it came with. Something new to me and puts a twist on the whole removing of the reed valves, plugging the holes and getting rid of the afterburner emission control air vacuum valve.

Attachments:

Last edit: by StanG.
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds