Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 2 days ago #19493

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Likewise, a small core of posters but I've gotten some great feedback from them. This forum has been a life saver, and I've made some great connections here, for which I am grateful and thank you.

Here I am left with these connections open, and I can't fit them anywhere. I think these are meant as direct hook up for the headlight, right?
What are those two single wires for? The red and the brown? Does this whole part of the harness fit inside the light bucket?

I sourced this headlight with a bucket from eBay, and the connection here looks totally different. What am I missing?

Is this where the bucket is attached to the headlight adjusting assembly?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 2 days ago #19496

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
I know its a late reply however this is a tool I made up in 1980 to do my forks with it a 5/8's threaded rod with two 15/16 nuts tightened against each other and I held it from moving using vise grips
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen, StanG

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 2 days ago #19497

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
there are other models of KZ's (550, 750, 1000?, 1100) that used the rectangular headlight are you sure the one you got was actually off a 1300 or did they say it would fit a KZ1300 ( just asking not trying to be a smartass.) could be that's why the wiring is different.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 2 days ago #19498

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
looking at that harness again it maybe a harness used on the Kawasaki fairing that used the headlight (the big boxy looking one that said Kawasaki on the sides) to go between the fairing and the bike

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 2 days ago #19503

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I am going the same route with making my own tool stocktoy. The copper tube method let me remove one on the right side, so now I have it in my hand as a sample. The piston is in my backpack and I will be hitting the hardware store today to make a correct fit without guessing and have a tool for removing the left side and then tightening both.

I found a website today where the poster describes everything in a very clear way. (although a different Kawasaki model):

SR 650 Fork Rebuild Tips

I settled on using Bel Rey fork oil 15W. The initial air pressure will 8-9 psi.

It also crossed my mind that this harness piece is for some fancy accessories or just a fairing. It has 9 pins. So... I don't know which wires I need, what should I cut off (if that's what should be done). So far I managed to connect almost all the connectors I had, so whatever the bike came with is partially sorted out. Next the tail light and the rear turn signals, then I will do the front. And the coils still to sort out. I have three AW82 now, but two of them a bit lower resistance than 2.4, and one 2.4. The guy at the shop told me I should be good, but I still want to sleep on it before mounting the coils permanently.

The headlight and the bucket were advertised as from KZ1300. Maybe a different model? I had to buy the rubber dumpers and collars and they fit perfectly. Either way, I will have to utilize them. Just have to work on it since I will be using alternative ears for now.

Today I connected the clutch cable, adjusted and all is working fine! Very happy :)

Last edit: by StanG.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 2 days ago #19504

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Yeah, I see what you mean (sorry, missed it first). I would agree - it looks like something that would go further forward to reach a headlight in a bulky fairing.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds