Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 6 months ago #17613

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I've had the center stand painted and sitting for a while. Now the chrome plated springs joined it and it's a complete set. I used PlastiKote chasis and grille guard paint. It seems very tough. I think it's good for touching up the frame.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 6 months ago #17614

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
The radiator part is also almost finished. This is what I started with:

I masked the radiator blades and soda blasted the sides. I also glass bead blasted the other heavily rusted parts and oxidized aluminum housings.
The guards, screen and mounting screws, and the fan switch housing were chrome plated.

I already have the gaskets and some of the o-rings.

Everything has been checked and polished, including this thermostat :) The upper hose is fine and soft. I am going to get the lower part from automotive store, and replace the clamps as well.

Attachments:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 6 months ago #17615

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
In participation of putting the engine together, I organized all the parts of the water pump shaft, new seals etc.
I had to order another used engine block because all but one of the cylinder sleeves were pitted beyond being salvageable. The block came with a water pump shaft, unfortunately the plastic sprocket was damaged. The oil seals and the mechanical seal had to be replaced, and now I was just comparing the two. Both housings are identical, but one is marked with '1' and the other with '2'. Both bikes are supposed to be the same year. I wonder if anyone knows the story behind this. Maybe it points to location where they were made?

BY the way. I can't find in the service manual a detailed carburetor servicing information. Is there a in depth step by step?
Attachments:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 6 months ago #17617

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Beautiful work you're doing there Stan.

Scotch wrote up a detailed carb rebuild under topic "79 Carb Rebuild Part 1" and then there's a part 2.
Here's the link for part 1

kz1300.com/index.php/forum/carburators-f...ld-pt-1?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 6 months ago #17620

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Thank you Kawboy. That thread looks great and is bookmarked now. I have my carbs partially stripped but not naked yet. Second base is not enough, I gotta hit home run! haha
They are still connected together, and I need a proper way to separate them and most importantly removing all the little bits and pieces.

My first thing before stripping the carbs will be soaking all again in carb cleaner, then putting them in ultrasonic cleaner. Then stripping the small parts and repeating the ultrasonic cleaning. I wasn't planning on doing it right now, but I need to remove fused stuck piston rings so I will be giving them an ultrasonic bath. Why not the carbs at the same time.

I already ran into having a question. These two passages in the bowls seem to be connected when I blow air in it. But very barely. One doesn't let any air through. What are they? I assume they should have no restrictions.

Attachments:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 6 months ago #17621

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I was just reading Scotch's carburetor thread. I think the passage must be free. It's for the pick up tube for fuel delivery to the choke plunger. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds