Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

83 KZ1300 Revival 6 years 8 months ago #17044

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I'm glad my words didn't fall on deaf ears. Good to know you were in the trade. If I still had access to an angle plate and a drill press, I would atempt it. It would take a bit of set up , but not a difficult job. No way in hell would I pay $450.00/ cylinder to have the work done. The machining time for each cylinder should be about an hour, plus the heat soak in an oven. Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject in case others are interested. The tubing is not special by any means. Probably worth about $10.00 for a foot of it and that would be enough for 3-4 master cylinders.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

83 KZ1300 Revival 6 years 8 months ago #17045

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I'll check with a friend in Medicine Hat AB who has a small machine shop and does old bike restorations. Maybe he can something like this .
Give me a day or so.
glenn
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

83 KZ1300 Revival 6 years 8 months ago #17046

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Yes, doing anything like this by hand would be very tricky. I would attempt with a reamer doing it very slowly and gradually, manually like we used to do valve guides for example, shaving the surface bit by bit, but these are blind bores. Perhaps making an exact guide and attaching the reamer to it would work, then the guide would have to be shortened gradually. Lot's of fiddling around. Perhaps good on a battlefield.

I am usually torn between salvaging and using as much as possible of the original parts if repairable, or getting a replacement. Sometimes it is just better to go for the sure thing and pay the bill if affordable.

Glenn, keep us updated! Thank you

In the meantime I started a thread about front/rear master cylinders in parts section. I found a full service in California for 75-90 USD for re-sleeving. That's way cheaper than 440 or 275! It's called Karps. At this point they are my choice. Good reviews.

Stan

83 KZ1300 Revival 6 years 8 months ago #17048

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

tackelhappy wrote: I'll check with a friend in Medicine Hat AB who has a small machine shop and does old bike restorations. Maybe he can something like this .
Give me a day or so.
glenn

Hmmmmmm A man from the Hat. My son was in the Hat for a year. Then went to Lloydminister for a year. Then Calgary for 2 years. Married a girl from Tisdale Saskatchewan and just transferred down to Cheyenne Wyoming. Working for Schlumberger Oil Well Services. Small world.

83 KZ1300 Revival 6 years 8 months ago #17061

• razmo99
  • razmo99's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13
Hi Stan,

Last time I got a master cylinder re sleeved I used these fellas in SA www.powerbrakes.com.au/

I think it was around $200.

Cheers, Lewis.
84 ZG1300
81 KZ1300-A3
83 GT550
90 GPZ900R
83 KZ550
81 KZ550(in parts)

83 KZ1300 Revival 6 years 8 months ago #17065

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Hi Lewis,

Australia is quite far from here.. I think if nothing else comes up I will go for the shop in California.

Stan

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds