• Page:

TOPIC:

86 ZN Fairing parts Available? 6 years 10 months ago #16666

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I'm looking at a 86 ZN that has some damage to the upper fairing behind and below the front signal lamps. Possibly repairable but I'm wondering how difficult it is to find an undamaged fairing. Thanks for any advice.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

86 ZN Fairing parts Available? 6 years 10 months ago #16684

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Just bumping this....

Can anyone post clear side view pictures of a stock 86 ZN? I'm not clear on which bits may or may not be original. i.e I know at some point the engine cases on the 1300 were chrome plated - was that true of the ZN's or does that depend on the year?.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

86 ZN Fairing parts Available? 6 years 4 months ago #18115

• usakz1300
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 68
On the plastic parts of the bikes, most of them are injection molded plastic. Some people try to fix them with fiberglass resins and cloth, and that doesn't work well at all, as the resins really do not stick well to the plastic.

Now, to fix most problems with stock plastics, we need to use the right bonding agent with the fiberglass cloth.

Since most plastics are black ABS, simply substitute the resin for ABS cement, and cloth. Works better than anything I have ever used. I just refitted a side cover panel holder to the cover with ABS cement and fiberglass cloth, stronger than the cover itself. I use it inside parts, usually not on the outside, but, a couple of parts needed small holes filled, and I used just the cement, and sanded, body worked the cement, and repainted after it dried a couple of days, you can't tell it was ever damaged.

If you are not familiar with ABS plastics, it is the black drain piping in mobile homes, and houses, glues together with this stuff. Don't confuse it with PVC glue, that is for the white pressure pipes in those locations, and, PVC cement doesn't work on ABS plastics.

86 ZN Fairing parts Available? 6 years 4 months ago #18118

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
The ABS cement being yellow and stinks like the devil?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds