Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 1 month ago #15636

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Sorry for the confusion. A "thread" is an old computer term used to describe a topic with a series of conversations following. When you follow the "thread" from one end to the other you're basically reading the story. So bottom line, I was suggesting that you "create" a new topic and maybe call it "Dion's restoration" then you can post your updates and give the membership a story to follow on your rebuild. What I've seen in the past that's confusing is a newbee to the group posts an introduction and then adds info on their rebuild. What happens from the membership end is we see the "Category" as "New member" and it turns out to be a rebuild topic. It's confusing.

just a word of caution- Whe you start the new topic, the system defaults to the category of "new member" and you need to change the "category" in the pull down menu to one of the more appropriate subjects. How do I know this? Been there, done that.

as far as the CBX Kz1300 comparision- The CBX comes on the pipe at 5500 rpm and screams out way above the 9500 red line, sounds like a ferrari with a 6 in to 1 pipe, has a massive engine that is the first thing EVERYBODY sees. Weakness is it handles like a dog wagging its tail on high speed turns and will scare the shit out of you the first time it happens. You really have to have the balls to hang on to it when it happens and always pack a spare pair of underpants. The only thing worse would be riding a 700 lb steer (cow) and hanging on to his horns while he takes you for the ride of your life. CBX is a thrill to ride and comfortable to ride for a couple of hours. Then your ears need a rest.
The KZ big and bulky but the power band is a dream. Pulls like a freight train from 1000 rpm to redline. Need to pass a car- just twist the throttle and hang on. On the CBX- down shift to 3rd and scream past the car your passing and pray you don't scare the shit out of the car driver. If I had a choice between the 2- One of each please. The KZ for 6 days a week and the CBX to get the teenager out of me once a week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 1 month ago #15637

• Dion
  • Dion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Thanks for that
presently waiting on new camera, pumped the tires up dragged the beast out,! Oh dear, camera on the fritz, always summit.
will sit down one QUITE night when the kids have hit the sack and work through trying to set up what your talking about.
The 996 will probably take precedent for a while as its almost going, and the Duc's my first love admittedly.
hey with all the issues regarding the Z ignition has any one explored retro fitting a modern ignition/ computer
pick ups from BMW6 motec engine management system injection off something more modern, just make a intake port x 3 inlet manifold.
time consuming initially however a sorted unit at reasonable price would most likely sell,it seems the Z is fraught with endless issues in this arena.
will try to find out about other injector set ups and power commander or such to run
seems to me the inlet tracts could even be welded to build up, then oversize the inlet ports to run bigger throttle bodies etc etc.
anyways at the moment will just try to get my beast running and road legal, after that it could be interesting to investimigate!.

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 1 month ago #15638

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Have a look at the BMW K series injector bodies and Megasquirt control. The K1200 up till 2005 had 38mm throttle bodies and could be easily made into 2 sets of 3 or even with 2 sets of 4 cylinders into a single 6 throat throttle body.
Megasquirt and micro squirt are open source software and can be modified using a laptop. It controls the fuel and ignition and is extremely versatile.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dion

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 1 month ago #15640

• kiwirider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 17
I got mine vinned straight away it broke down on the way to vtnz because some idiot didn't put a 8mm washer in the advance unit got it going but as per my threads still on going problems it should be easy to vinn you don't need a brake declaration just a paper trail and proof of registration in another county and proof of purchase as for the original indicators no others will be OK good luck Graham
2018 Harley cvo ultra 1982 cbx1000 1980 gsx1100 2012 gtr1400 cx500 turbo 1977 suzuki gt750
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dion

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 1 month ago #15647

• Dion
  • Dion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Thankyou Rick
will start looking into it
for NZ Vin Process have been told bike must be as per factory set up,so just waiting on carb stuff ignition switch, then will get it up to W.O.F standard.
but most definitely will long term try some more modern ignition and fueling system
hey any ideas
have bypassed ignition with pliers connecting 1st and 3rd fuse from left (standing behind bike) then jump starter solenoid
have spark at plugs but no desire even if i spray either up carbs to give kick or backfire.
i was just trying to see if it will kick over, thought that should get a reaction!
Dion

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 1 month ago #15652

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Just having spark at the plug when it's out of the cylinder doesn't mean it will be sparking under compression. With a 10 to 1 compression you need ten times the voltage to get a spark.
Make sure the coils have continuity on the secondary or high tension and make sure there is no connection from any of the terminals to the steel core.
The OEM coils are at best garbage and often develop cracks after only a couple of years in the hot environment just above the engine.
I used a set of coils from a CB900 Honda and they have lasted for 30 years. Some of the guys here know where you can get them I have been out of the game too long now to have good contacts. As far as I know you can still get them new.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds