Kz mission 7 years 1 month ago #15617

• Dion
  • Dion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Hi all
my name is Dion i am a kiwi presently living in New Zealand
My first ride on a Z1300 (as the kiwi and Aus models where called) was when i was about 16yrs old.
It always sat in the back of my mind as a wondrous experience. having raced bikes and lived around the world i settled in Australia.
In 2012 tired of all the sewing machine precision of new Japanese bikes and having first,a brand new Ducati 996 then brand new 1098 stolen,
I decided to hunt down something different as a project. ala the Z came about, unfortunately this has been fraught with an endless array of problems.
I purchased a Kz1300 from the States on Ebay (id strongly caution any one on doing that if you don't live in the states).
2 yrs later i finally got hold of the bike in rather poor condition and now working through the process NZ has to re Vin the bike, as i moved back whilst the bike was lost in transit(so to speak).
I found your site whilst in a desperate attempt to find parts for my beast, having spent hrs on the net trying to find accurate info regarding these bikes it was a Godsend (not religious) to come across your forum.
I have gained a whole new understanding of these bikes(now im hiding from it under the bed) Ha!
anyways hope to get some pics sometime online and have enjoyed reading the mechanical info and some amazing reno pics
regards Dion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 1 month ago #15619

• Dion
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Hi all
my name is Dion i am a kiwi presently living in New Zealand
My first ride on a Z1300 (as the kiwi and Aus models where called) was when i was about 16yrs old.
It always sat in the back of my mind as a wondrous experience. having raced bikes and lived around the world i settled in Australia during 1993 from Europe.
I have a Ducati 916 (in parts) 900ss, 996s, and a 851,1 wife and 3 kids, they have a crf50 and a KTM mini adventure
In 2012 tired of all the sewing machine precision of new Japanese bikes and having first,a brand new Ducati 996 then brand new 1098 stolen,
I decided to hunt down something different as a project. ala the Z came about, unfortunately this has been fraught with an endless array of problems.
I purchased a Kz1300 from the States on Ebay (id strongly caution any one on doing that if you don't live in the states).
2 yrs later i finally got hold of the bike in rather poor condition and now working through the process NZ has to re Vin the bike, as i moved back whilst the bike was lost in transit(so to speak).
I found your site whilst in a desperate attempt to find parts for my beast, having spent hrs on the net trying to find accurate info regarding these bikes it was a Godsend (not religious) to come across your forum.
I have gained a whole new understanding of these bikes(now im hiding from it under the bed) Ha!
anyways hope to get some pics sometime online and have enjoyed reading the mechanical info and some amazing reno pics
regards Dion
SORRY previously posted this, for got to put new member on

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 1 month ago #15622

• kiwirider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 17
welcome Dion i am also in nz good luck with your bike i also got mine on eBay from Scotland the vinning process was fine its all the problems i am also having with the so called perfect bike this is a great web site with some fantastic people with great advice
2018 Harley cvo ultra 1982 cbx1000 1980 gsx1100 2012 gtr1400 cx500 turbo 1977 suzuki gt750

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 1 month ago #15623

• Dion
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks,
Im in tauranga, only got the process sorted today, was very worried i would not be able to re vin, luckily i finally got some one who went through all the paperwork and advised 3 individual crowds here where giving me wrong info. that was a big relief.
Yeah unfortunately the seller told a lot of porkie pies about the bike Paypal wouldn't help as i paid him from Aussie bank (not US bank)
Ebay demanded he make amends but he canceled his association (somehow) so that made him untouchable!.
it took me 2 yrs basically to get all the issues he then Main Freight caused to get it on the way.
the ignition switch fell apart (literally) when i tried to put the only key supplied in it, then found it was only sitting in place.
no wires in headlight, they had all been fed back into the frame area(disconnected) lugs on rear of sub frame that hold tail assembly on where cut off ground down, brackets that hold rear indicators on cut off, all rear wiring disconnected,for some reason the carbs had been packed with polystyrene balls, no seat lock etc etc.
i do have one of those yellow (forget name) coil set ups to go on i bought 3 years ago new
will take carbs off clean out set up with new O rings (THANKS TO THE GUYS INFO ABOUT O RINGS.COM) stupidly i forgot a few times when trying to find their web site and omitted the O kept getting jewelry ! HMM
new floats etc
will probably get the tank/fgaurd immersion stripped the might respray (Ducati Matrix colour) with Silver pinstripe/ Any thoughts?
need to get new rear shocks does anyone know what Robert Bouldoc used on his ZRX ?
engine has 1700ks but has not turned over in at least 5 yrs so figure ill just try to get it going and all fixed to get it regoed and wofed
ill then figure out what to do, my understanding is when i get it revind it must be as per Manufacture standards! right down to the lense on the indicator! Looks like i need to Find 2 original indicators.
anyways probably getting a bit boring now
how far are you with yours, how critical where the inspectors with originality are you N or s island
regards Dion

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 1 month ago #15626

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your initial experience. Looks like you have a project to work through. we're here to help. Don't be afraid to ask. Love to seepics of the "before" cause it sounds like your plans will make the "after" a highlight. Good Luck with the project.

Do us a favor and start a new thread with your project so we can track your progress (with interest of course !!)

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 1 month ago #15628

• Dion
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks
hey please excuse my computer stupidity,! what is a thread? how do i do it/make it
Good idea i had not taken any pics of the Kz due to being a bit embarrassed how it looked.
ill sit body back on wheel it out get some snaps.
I never rode the CBX i can see you have/had one, whats the comparison? i imagine the honda handles better, more track orientated
regards Dion

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds