• Page:

TOPIC:

Bike Now Re-Registered 7 years 4 months ago #15011

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
A big thanks to all who passed on their knowledge to help me rebuild the top-end. Lots of lessons learned, a few broken bolts from too much torque (I only had a big torque wrench), 2 broken parts from home-mechanic error, lots of spilled blood (I will be renaming my workshop 'The Busted Knuckle') and just the right amount of cursing and swearing was used for good measure.

Still not out of the woods yet though as the radiator drain plug is not sealing properly and is leaking badly when the pressure builds up. It wasn't leaking before I started the tear-down and I'm guessing some silicone was used and I have removed it along with copious amounts of other silicone sealant that was used by the PO to patch numerous leaks.

Does anyone know the pitch of the thread for the radiator plug? I am pretty sure it is an M12 size diameter but not sure if it is a 1.5 or 1.25 pitch thread. I am thinking that the thread where the plug goes might be compromised because the plug won't bite. I think I will be making a visit to the local radiator repair shop for this one.

I haven't been able to give it a decent run yet under load, but the short distance I have taken it I am fairly happy. Not sure about idle yet as I am now officially paranoid. I have an excellent ear for anything that squeaks, rattles and such but I am a fish out of water when trying to spot a misfire.

Next goal is to work out what to do with the secondary fuel tank in the sidecar and corresponding fuel delivery system. I have 3 preferences at the moment: - Remove it completely and replace with steel jerry can(s), re-plumb to transfer into the main tank and adding a switch, or fix up the current system where I can have confidence it is functioning as it should.

Here is a list of all the repairs carried out so far: -

New starter solenoid
New starter motor
New starter motor clutch
New Clutch friction plates and springs
Replacement Carbs (got a spare set now)
Replacement LHS engine cover
Replacement LHS switch gear (Thanks Rick)
New o-rings for carbs (Thanks John)
New Ignition Coils
New Gasket Set
New HT leads
Top-end overhaul
Replacement camshafts
Replacement cylinder head cover
Replacement Oil Pan
New K&N Air Filter
New fuel lines
Fuel tank clean
Clean and Paint exhaust
Clean up electrical wiring
Splash a bit of paint here and there
And lots of new tools I hope I don't have to play with for a while ;)

If any one is wondering about which head gasket I used, well I settled with the Athena brand that I already had. Reason being is that I possibly would have received the head gasket from Comitec after the bike was supposed to be registered. Also, one of our distinguished forum members had a look at the Athena gasket and in his opinion it would suffice. If it 'turns to custard' I will let you all know.
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bike Now Re-Registered 7 years 4 months ago #15038

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Glad you made so much progress.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Bike Now Re-Registered 7 years 4 months ago #15039

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
That's quite a project Yaegunp. How long did it take you to get to this point? Did you have some time of deadline for the registration or was it just a goal of yours?
Congratulations!
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Bike Now Re-Registered 7 years 4 months ago #15041

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Glad to hear of your sucesses. Now you can just play with it. Enjoy !!

You talk about idle issues and fish out of water. Can't say enough about a Colortune kit for test equipment. If you have a misfire or a carb set up issue, Colortune will "show it" to you and then you'll know where to start the repair.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Bike Now Re-Registered 7 years 4 months ago #15042

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Good to hear Paul now to start enjoying it the way life was meant to be.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Bike Now Re-Registered 7 years 4 months ago #15043

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
That's a lot of work! Congrats, mi amigo.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds