Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Just bought a 1300 Voyager - Help 10 years 2 months ago #1126

• gkee
  • gkee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I went to an auction (over 50 bikes from the 50's on up. The guy had actually been on the Pickers show a few years ago)and I had always wanted on of these! Well I own one now but the trouble is the last time it was tagged was 1986! Bike was made in Jan 1980. It appears to be totally complete and it has not been down that I can tell. It just looks like somebody stopped riding it. Any suggestions as to where to begin to start to put this back on the road?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just bought a 1300 Voyager - Help 10 years 2 months ago #1129

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
It hasn't been riden or run much in the last 30 years every seal gasket O-ring and piece of rubber will be ready to fall to pieces as soon as it is used.
If you want to end up with a reliable bike I would recommend a restoration, not maybe complete but pull it apart and check everything as it goes together.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Just bought a 1300 Voyager - Help 10 years 2 months ago #1130

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Greetings from Little England !

What Rick states I fully agree with........but if you want to try starting it regadless, then try the following.

Assuming the bike does not need brakes or running gear servicing, then I would advise the following procedures BEFORE trying to start it.

Drain & replace all fluids including engine & diff oil.
Replace oil filter & clean plugs (no need to replace unless really bad).
Check / clean air filter.
Fully charge or replace battery with a good one.

REMOVE CARBS and completely strip, clean & refit.
If the bike has not been run for a long time, then the fuel that was left in the carbs 3 float bowls will have turned into a horrible varnish & will be lining the insides. If you just flush the carbs through & try to start it, you will suck up all kinds of rubbish & bits of dried fuel into the carbs themselves & make the whole thing a lot more complicated.

Finally I would advise removing all 6 plugs & pour a little engine oil into each cylinder & leave for an hour or so to soak the rings & line the bores with lubricant. Next, turn engine over 20 or so times at end of the crank with a spanner very slowly just to get things moving before replacing the plugs. If you feel any resistance or stoppage when turning engine with the spanner THEN STOP IMMEDIATELY & DO NOT FORCE IT.
It is quite common for the rings to stick to the bores after prolonged periods of no use, and can snap or damage the bores if not lubricated.

If you want to be 100% safe, then remove cam cover & pour engine oil over everything inside & around the cams & 12 valves as they will be very dry, which is not good for starting.

Please let us know how you get on !

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Just bought a 1300 Voyager - Help 10 years 2 months ago #1133

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi GKee,

Welcome to KZ1300.com!

One thing more, if the bike turns over easily by wrench with the plugs removed I would suggest that you replace the cam chain tensioner now. If you click on the FAQ at the upper left of any page you can read about the issue and how to deal with it. It's a small project that, if it hasn't already caused the layup of your bike in 1986, would be a good issue to have behind you.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Just bought a 1300 Voyager - Help 10 years 2 months ago #1135

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Well said Bill...........I forgot that bit !

The tensioner swap is an absolute must !!!

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Just bought a 1300 Voyager - Help 10 years 2 months ago #1137

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
The only thing I'd add is that they didn't start making the Voyager until 1983 :unsure:
Are you sure it's not the KZ1300 B2 touring model instead?
Only dead fish go with the flow

Last edit: by Phil.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds