Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Tyres for Sidecars 7 years 3 months ago #15096

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I have been doing research for my next set of tyres (front and rear). The rims on my Z1300 A5 are designed for TL (tubeless) tyres but the only tyres I can find that are specifically designed for sidecar use are TT (tube type). I have read reasons why you shouldn't put TT tyres on a TL rim but have also read that sidecarists quite often do this and do it without using a tube. Also some are fitting car type tyres to motorcycle rims, which apparently is a big No-No because of the risk of the tyre peeling off - But the sidecarists seem to be doing it without any dramas.

My research is not definitive (who's is?) so I was wondering if anyone has thoughts and opinions on fitting a TT tyre to a TL rim taking into account new technologies of tyre design?

Cheers
Paul
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tyres for Sidecars 7 years 3 months ago #15099

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Short and Sweet. Tube type tires actually have pinholes in the side wall to vent the air which gets caught in beetween the tube and tire/rim so running a tube type tire in a tubeless application won't work. I came across this back in the early 1970"s when tubeless tires were just starting to come into the market place. I had a customer come in to the shop with 4 new tires mounted on his car and all 4 were leaking air. Perplexed, we took the wheel assembly over to the dunk tank and looked for bubbles and sure enough each wheel assembly was leaking through about a dozen pinholes in the sidewalls. Called the tire manufacturer and got the tube type tire and design requirement to have these vent holes to release the air trapped between the tube and the tire/rim.

There are a number of other design diferences and this site might be better at explaning it if you want "more information"

okigihan.blogspot.ca/p/aircraft-tires-an...-aircraft-tires.html

Bottom line, you can't run tube type tires without a tube.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Tyres for Sidecars 7 years 3 months ago #15102

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
I ran a car tyre on the back of my Intruder for a few years with no problems. Some bikes are more suited to this type of application than others, and the Intruders 5.5 inch rim and general lack of cornering clearance at the best of times made a car tyre a practical option.

I only had the one car tyre on it - I took it off before I sold the bike. I put about 20K KM's on that tyre and it still had 50% tread left. And it was $90 fitted.

Did it handle better than an MC tyre? In some ways yes, in others, no. Did I have any "moments" with the tyre? No. It was predictable and I didn't end up dying a fiery death (as predicted by a lot of people who'd never actually ridden a car tyre'd bike).

Anyway, I digress.....back to your dilemma.....I've heard of people using the emergency car spare tyres on bikes for sidecar applications but I cant say I've actually seen anyone do it.

If you go with a tube type tyre, then run a tube.

Tyres for Sidecars 7 years 3 months ago #15103

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Many years ago on my first 13 with a chair, I put a vintage car tyre on the rear, it gave me about 4 inches of tread on the road, although back then the tyre was speed rated to 80kph, although I did do more than that and never had any problems with separation, I really haven't searched much for a good back tyre on this 13. At present i'm running a Dunlop K70 tyre on the front, it's a tube tyre on the tubeless rim, first ride had me worried as all the "nipples" of rubber on the new tyre rubbed under the front guard, made some noise, but they are worn off now and she is quiet, although the blocky tread is good for steering it does pick up a few pebbles on my dirt driveway. On the rear i'm running a Dunlop 404 Tubeless, good cheap tyre so it's easy enough to change when I wear the middle out, because I don't lean because of the chair. On the side car is a "Jelly Bean" mag wheel from a Mini, bloody new tyre cost me $90 !!!!!, but I only run about 20 PSI in it or she's too rough, just thought i'd let you know what I have, photos below, cheers Pete.

after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
Attachments:

Tyres for Sidecars 7 years 3 months ago #15107

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

kza13 wrote: Many years ago on my first 13 with a chair, I put a vintage car tyre on the rear, it gave me about 4 inches of tread on the road, although back then the tyre was speed rated to 80kph, although I did do more than that and never had any problems with separation, I really haven't searched much for a good back tyre on this 13. At present i'm running a Dunlop K70 tyre on the front, it's a tube tyre on the tubeless rim, first ride had me worried as all the "nipples" of rubber on the new tyre rubbed under the front guard, made some noise, but they are worn off now and she is quiet, although the blocky tread is good for steering it does pick up a few pebbles on my dirt driveway. On the rear i'm running a Dunlop 404 Tubeless, good cheap tyre so it's easy enough to change when I wear the middle out, because I don't lean because of the chair. On the side car is a "Jelly Bean" mag wheel from a Mini, bloody new tyre cost me $90 !!!!!, but I only run about 20 PSI in it or she's too rough, just thought i'd let you know what I have, photos below, cheers Pete.

That's very interesting info Pete. So far in my searches I have only come up with an Avon Sidecar 3.50-19 Universal, which won't fit and a Heidenau K28, which may fit but I don't understand the sizing they use (4.00 – 18 M/C 70P TT?). I hadn't come across the Dunlop K70 in my searches and just looked at it now, half the price of the K28 but they are quite different tyres. I forgot to mention Metzler has a Block K sidecar tyre as well for around the same price as the K28.

Presently I am running a Dunlop Arrowmax GT501 (for rear wheel use) on the front and a Bridgestone Spitfire 11R on the rear.

What size is your sidecar wheel, 12 inch?

Thanks for sharing Pete B)
Attachments:

Last edit: by Yaegunp.

Tyres for Sidecars 7 years 3 months ago #15108

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Kawboy wrote: Short and Sweet. Tube type tires actually have pinholes in the side wall to vent the air which gets caught in beetween the tube and tire/rim so running a tube type tire in a tubeless application won't work. I came across this back in the early 1970"s when tubeless tires were just starting to come into the market place. I had a customer come in to the shop with 4 new tires mounted on his car and all 4 were leaking air. Perplexed, we took the wheel assembly over to the dunk tank and looked for bubbles and sure enough each wheel assembly was leaking through about a dozen pinholes in the sidewalls. Called the tire manufacturer and got the tube type tire and design requirement to have these vent holes to release the air trapped between the tube and the tire/rim.

There are a number of other design diferences and this site might be better at explaning it if you want "more information"

okigihan.blogspot.ca/p/aircraft-tires-an...-aircraft-tires.html

Bottom line, you can't run tube type tires without a tube.

You might find this interesting reading Kawboy. It's all about tyres and I'd be interested in what you think

Design Differences Between Car and Motorcycle Rim/Tire

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds