Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

crank case breather 7 years 4 months ago #15074

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
No, it's simply a matter of chemistry. Water doesn't mix with oil and water is heavier than oil so the water will sink to the bottom of the container, in case the crankcase sump. Go ahead and take a glass of oil and pour water into the glass and watch it sink to the bottom of the glass. That test should satisfy you that merely dumping out the bad water will have cleared your problem.
If the oil gets hot, then another issue rears it's ugly head and that's when the oil will absorb the water and you get the milky colored oil.

How much water came out? If less than a liter, I would not bother taking off the sump. If more than a liter, you probably should pull the pan and have a look about. I say a liter because the bottom of the sump below any of the shafts or other gears etc. looks like it would hold about a liter. If the water was storing itself down there then there should be " no harm, no foul". If the gears or shafts or clutch plates were sitting in the water for any length of time, there could be some surface rust on them and that "iron oxide" could wash itself off and migrate through the crankcase wreaking havok.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but thanks for sharing. It reminds the rest of us about things you need to think about before laying up our toys for extended periods of time. It's like my snowblower. Do you think for the life of me I could remember to put fuel stabilizer in the frigging tank before putting the snowblower away in the spring ? NO. Every year I do the same thing. Thank the Gods that winter is over and just leave the snowblower in the garage till late fall before I go over it to ensure it will get me through the next winter. What I should be doing is dumping the oil in the spring and putting fresh oil in it for storage and putting fuel stabilizer in the tank and running the snowblower for 5 minutes to circulate the "fresh oil" and get the stabilizer in to the carburetor. Strange, I don't do the same shit with the lawnmower. For some reason I mange to take care of it like I should. Must be a brain fart that clouds me with reference to the damned snowblower #$$$$%

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

crank case breather 7 years 3 months ago #15078

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Thanks Kawboy
I doubt it was more than a litre and the A1 SUMP has the plug in the front so it has its own little reseviour the reason i am asking if the oil pick up drops into this is i cant remember if i tried to turn the motor over before i discovered the issue, my gut feeling is the water would be so low in the sump that the pick up should have just moved oil on top of the water

Last edit: by paulb.

crank case breather 7 years 3 months ago #15080

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Have you tried to turn the engine over? With the air box removed its possible to get moisture into the engine in cylinders with an open intake valve. Stuck rings and or stuck valves are possible. Depends how long it was sitting, and what the ambient humidity is etc. I would fill with an inexpensive oil, start it up and run it in place for 15 to 20 min. then drain the oil and replace with decent engine oil. The water sat in the bottom of the pan were it really couldn't do any internal damage, what you need to do is drive the moisture out of the engine.

Kawboy is right, if there was enough water to contact the primary chain, or the transmission shafts/gears, you could have some serious problems.
1981 KZ1300

crank case breather 7 years 3 months ago #15155

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Guys
brief update drained the oil and put some inexpensive oil in and managed to fire it up last saturday ran it for about 20 mins with not too many issues smoke almost disappeared after a while.
repeated the process sunday and monday my thinking process is i should be able to drive/burn any moisture out before putting new oil in however tried to get it to fire today and couldnt get it to start although it is spinning over so i know its not seized and its always been a swine to start hopefully i can get it started tomorrow so i can swop the oil
Paulb

crank case breather 7 years 3 months ago #15156

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

paulb wrote: Hi Guys
brief update drained the oil and put some inexpensive oil in and managed to fire it up last saturday ran it for about 20 mins with not too many issues smoke almost disappeared after a while.
repeated the process sunday and monday my thinking process is i should be able to drive/burn any moisture out before putting new oil in however tried to get it to fire today and couldnt get it to start although it is spinning over so i know its not seized and its always been a swine to start hopefully i can get it started tomorrow so i can swop the oil
Paulb

Hmmmmmmmm, a Kaw that's a pig to start? Was it a barn find? :whistle:

crank case breather 7 years 3 months ago #15158

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

Kawboy wrote:

paulb wrote: Hi Guys
Paulb

Hmmmmmmmm, a Kaw that's a pig to start? Was it a barn find? :whistle:

If it's a pig to start then it should have plenty of Grunt! :whistle: :whistle:
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds