Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

crank case breather 7 years 4 months ago #15056

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Guys
need a bit of advise i have a works in progress z1300 that unfortunately has to live outside due to no garage, it would appear the so called water proof cover is not and i found a load of water in the airbox which was disassembled , my question is could this make its way through the crank case breather into the engine or is there some sort of one way valve in the breather pipe/system
thanks
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

crank case breather 7 years 4 months ago #15059

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Nope no valve, straight thru
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

crank case breather 7 years 4 months ago #15061

• Raygun
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17
The water may not have necessarily gotten in. The crankcase breather has a metal tube inside the airbox that bends downward. Your best bet is to drain the oil and have a look. :(
1982 KZ1300
2003 KLX400SR
1999 KDX220
Wife
Son
Daughter
Cat x 3

crank case breather 7 years 4 months ago #15064

• paulb
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Yeah i think its about 50-50 if any water got in, the reason i discovered the problem was i was going to try to fire it u as it hasnt been run for about 8 months, if there is a small amount of water in it do i risk damaging the top end or will it just dilute the oil

crank case breather 7 years 4 months ago #15065

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

paulb wrote: Yeah i think its about 50-50 if any water got in, the reason i discovered the problem was i was going to try to fire it u as it hasnt been run for about 8 months, if there is a small amount of water in it do i risk damaging the top end or will it just dilute the oil

The worst case scenario is hydrolock but I don't know if the water in your oil can get into the combustion chamber, cause that's when the real damage will be done?? If you love your bike I suggest dumping the contaminated oil along with the oil filter and starting a-fresh. Can't see taking a risk to save a relatively small amount of money.
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

crank case breather 7 years 4 months ago #15066

• paulb
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Well guys thanks for the helpful advice[as always] i have just dropped the oil and there was indeed at least a litre of water in the engine because i havent really had a chance to work on the bike lately i have no idea how long its been there i do know it has not been run with the water in the engine because it was garaged at a friends house the last time it ran.
Is it likely to have caused any damage/corrosion or will the fresh oil counteract any issues
thanks
Paul

Time to create page: 2.243 seconds