Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

New too 7 years 3 months ago #15075

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

zebulon wrote:

Sure, Tease me with those 3 letters "CBX" . Not that my avatar shows anything of my past @#@#%

You can handle that ;)

Ready and swap position

Now THAT"S a beautiful ride. There's not that many fine examples up here in Canada. Must have something to do with our weather.or your CBX has never seen dare I say water?
OFF TOPIC
not as bad as the Kawa but worthwhile

This effort here of removing the sump and "checking" the screen is a great predictive maintenance tool. Just looking at the screen tells a story. There's something going on in that engine. If you were performing what we in the trade would call "oil analysis", we would flush an oil sample in purified varsol and then drain the oil/varsol through a 1 micron filter and then look at that filter paper through a microscope. You wouldn't believe the things you find when you do this analysis. Bearing babbit, roller bearing chromium flakes, rubber debris, fibers from cleaning cloths and the list goes on and on......... Just looking at your screen and thinking, great, I've done something good here and cleaned the screen so that I have good oil flow is a good thing but if you want to go the extra mile, study the debris that's got stuck in the screen and understand what the debris is. I would flush the screen out in varsol over a paper towel and then look at the paper towel under a cheap chemistry set microscope. 100 power is all you need. At that point you can start to understand the wear going on in that engine and start to realize what service maintenance you need to perform to keep it alive or things like finding chromium flakes helps "predict" the failure of a bearing before the damaged bearing causes other issues like broken gears etc..

Thanks for sharing. What a great opportunity to initiate a conversation about maintenance of our babies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

New too 7 years 3 months ago #15115

• zebulon
  • zebulon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
I agree, for now I leave it as it is. I think there is always "something going on" in engines. And yes, this must be a part of every
preventive maintenance schedule of all (bike) engines after some time, maybe starting at 30000km.
I will check mine every 2 years. Each bike is driven ca. 500km per year, if at all, so I guess that's ok for me to sleep well.
All in all a very well overlooked issue. Next in the row will be my Z1R.

As for the CBX condition, I am very happy to find this one from a dealer who was reluctant to sell it, but had to, because the one I bought
had an engine failure the day I wanted to pick her up - lucky me :P

New too 7 years 3 months ago #15117

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
I had to go back to your first post to "remember" your collection. Had another look at your "meditation room" and was in awe. Love to see a pic of your Z1R. Impeccable collection you've got and obviously in the hands of someone who respects and cherishes his collection.

New too 7 years 3 months ago #15150

• zebulon
off topic

Here is my Z1R, it has some mods and will get the original turn signals back soon.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

New too 5 years 9 months ago #20184

• zebulon
Hi guys, I am still around and enjoy my ride from time to time. Currently restoring a VF750F :ohmy:

The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen, Kawboy

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds