Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Hi from Aberdeen, Scotland 7 years 8 months ago #13935

• Fraserc
  • Fraserc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I've just got a standard rear end stand. I don't have the exhausts fitted and I don't think I will be able to use it when they are. Must be a common problem. Interesting to hear what anyone else uses.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi from Aberdeen, Scotland 7 years 8 months ago #13967

• Z1300rider
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi, you wouldn't by any chance have owned and sold one of these in the past would you? Mine came from Aberdeen. I bought it and rode it down to Bristol where it now is having some much needed tlc having pretty much not turned a wheel in almost nine years.

Hi from Aberdeen, Scotland 7 years 8 months ago #13980

• Fraserc
No, this is the first z1300 I've had. What was the name of the last owner ?

Hi from Aberdeen, Scotland 7 years 8 months ago #13992

• Fraserc
The rebuild continues and it is truly amazing how much you forget....must be an age thing

So engine back in, bits and pieces starting to be bolted back together, change the oil and i hook up the electrics. Now the fun starts because i make a couple of schoolboy errors in the connections which i spot before powering up and then add some electric juice. Nothing happens.... I scratch my head...check everything with the multi meter....re check everything...and again but still nothing. I finally give up and consult the oracle to find the missing link is the secondary switch under the seat - doh ! So happy in the knowledge that this will fix the problem I set the switch at the appropriate angle and hey presto lights, horn but no starter....aargh. Back around the checking loop and I hot wire the solenoid and the starter turns ...and then i notice the starter inhibit switch on the wiring diagram. Back to the oracle and find step 2 in the idiots guide to starting a Z1300 - pull the f***ing clutch in !

I said at the beginning that I literally bought the bike, rode it home and them stripped it so i had not mastered the basics. Happy to report that it turns over beautifully with plenty compression and no weird noises.

Airbox, carbs, exhaust and radiator next which will have to wait for a couple of weeks as I will be away. Cant wait !

Hi from Aberdeen, Scotland 7 years 8 months ago #13994

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
HiYa Fraser, from Creston CA, USA!

I recently restored a 1971 A1 and documented the process here. There might be some tips and stuff should you need or want.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fraserc

Hi from Aberdeen, Scotland 7 years 7 months ago #14197

• Fraserc
Rebuild coming on now and starting to see the finished article. Taking longer than I expected as I seem to have to do everything twice ! Exhaust, radiator, rear brake and tyres to do and the we should be off again....
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds