Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Head Gasket 7 years 9 months ago #13157

• Petez13
  • Petez13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi, All

Should be a simple one, I'm using an original kawasaki Head gasket, is it a good idea to also use a sealant, either a sylicone type or a semi hardening one around the coolant passages. Or as it's an original gasket just not nessacery?

Thanks Pete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head Gasket 7 years 9 months ago #13159

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
It can't hurt. I'd gone through two head gaskets before I buttoned mine up, and the coolant sealant on the gasket was pretty rough on both. I'm very dubious of the longevity of the sealant on these gaskets, especially seeing as how all of them are going on 30 years old now.

If it were me, I'd pop some sealant on them while you have the chance, just in case.

Last edit: by Lucien-Harpress.

Head Gasket 7 years 9 months ago #13160

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
I would remove the old silicone sealant on the OE gasket and use Hondabond (Or Yamabond/Threebond, all the same stuff). That will ensure it will not leak. Also use Hondbond on the water pump seal housing... you do not want that to leak!
1981 KZ1300

Head Gasket 7 years 9 months ago #13170

• Petez13
  • Petez13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
That's strange you saying the gaskets would be around 30 years old by now as mine looks like a new product with a bar code etc, I've opened the packet and the gasket feels sticky. Might ask the supplier,

Head Gasket 7 years 9 months ago #13172

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Pete,

If you are using a Genuine Kawasaki Head Gasket .......DO NOT USE ANYTHING AT ALL WITH IT.

You will see it already has a ring of sealant around the water channel holes. Putting more on can affect it.

As others have said, just make sure both metal surfaces are mega, mega clean and oil free (clean both surfaces with solvent or petrol before putting gasket on).

If you are NOT using a Genuine Gasket............leave all your tools out and check you have recovery insurance !

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Head Gasket 7 years 9 months ago #13173

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Seems there are conflicting views on the whole subject. I'm about to do mine, I've got a genuine head gasket to use and an aftermarket which is in the full set I got for the rest of the job.Does anyone know when Kawasaki stopped making head gaskets and is age a known issue, ie if a gasket lasts 30+ yrs in the engine would it degrade on a shelf in a bag? I bought a tube of threebond which I'm now unsure whether to use.
Pete , I am guessing you have fitted a number of genuine gaskets over the years and not used any sealant and never had a failure?
PS just taken both head gaskets out of the bag. The genuine looks like it could have been made yesterday..so thats good. The aftermarket as said has no silicone round the coolant holes and just looks like a poor quality item, so all I suppose is on condition, mine definately looks good to go straight on :)

:) Z13 UK
Attachments:

Last edit: by charlie9670.
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds