Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb flooding AGAIN. 7 years 10 months ago #12749

• rdbhere2
  • rdbhere2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 9
After months of successful carburetor function I go to ride my bike after letting it set for 3 weeks with the petcock off. I'm setting at a red light and I look down to see my carbs overflowing with the bike running. I'm ready to sell this high maintenance beast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb flooding AGAIN. 7 years 10 months ago #12766

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
rdbhere2, I can understand your angst. Two weeks ago this very situation occurred to myself after I had ridden 40 minutes uneventfully to visit a friend. When I went to leave we could both smell fuel and same as you - that wet spot under the bike. I was glad I had installed the over-flows. Bike started easily and got me home. The clear over-flow tubing indicated it was the 5 & 6 carb. I got the carb-set to the bench, removed that bowl, supplied fuel and lifted the float manually and confirmed the float needle wasn't shutting-off. Pulled the float and needle and found a piece of foreign material stuck in the valve-seat. Removed it and all was good. The culprit was very small. With a jewelers-loup I realized where it had come from. It was a "tiny" sliver of fuel-line, down-stream of the fuel filter. It had remained attached for a couple of years since converting to a dual fuel-line, until the event. As with you, I had not done any recent carb work and all had been dry. It's the "time-frame" that can be misleading.
This can happen to anyone at anytime. (Apparently !) Although in my case the piece-o-crap was down stream of the fuel filter it none-the-less exemplifies the need to ensure a good quality filter is installed. More specifically: It also shows that a high degree of attention be paid to how you do something as apparently simple as cutting the fuel-line. Most fuel-line material has a woven re-enforcement layered into it. Depending on how it is cut, some "fuzz" can remain which can come free at any time. Once any foreign material gets to the float needle-valve - your done !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdbhere2

Carb flooding AGAIN. 7 years 9 months ago #12839

• rdbhere2
  • rdbhere2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 9
Strange thing happened the day after my bike carbs flooded several times WHILE riding. I rode all day and not once did the carbs flood.It was a hot day and a couple times I forgot to turn the gas tank valve off and the bike carbs NEVER flooded. Very strange.
These bikes definitely do not like sitting. I knew it was carb float valve related. These brass floats are awesome.

Last edit: by rdbhere2.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds