Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tire sizes 9 years 6 months ago #4538

• Roadhazardguy
  • Roadhazardguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I believe our bikes call for a 130/80-17 rear tire but I'm wanting to run the widest tire possible. I'm wondering if after I clearance the swingarm do yall think I could fit a 160/60-17? I know tires call for a certain width rim so that's why I'm thinking the 60 might be closer to the right profile once it's squished in the narrower rim than probably called for. If not what's the widest yall think I can go without running into any problems? Also does anyone know how far away the drive shaft is from the inner wall of the swingarm?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Roadhazardguy.

Tire sizes 9 years 6 months ago #4542

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I sure wouldn't be running a 160/60 on that size rear wheel, 140/80 is as big as I would go.
If you want radials then Avon make them to suit. There are others that make radials, the guys on another forum were talking about using radials on the K100/75 BMWs and they have the same rim sizes as a Z13. I will try to find out more.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Tire sizes 9 years 6 months ago #4547

• Roadhazardguy
Ok thanks man, that's kinda what I figured. I meant to post this too. www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?t...=130-80r17-160-60r17

And are yall running tubes?

Tire sizes 9 years 6 months ago #4559

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
The guys say Avon for radials and as for tubes, no tubes the wheels are cast alloy.
From what I gather most of the radials are designed to run tubeless and if you use tubes you stand a chance the tyre will chafe the tube because of the way the carcase moves under stress
The radials that run tubes are usually for dual purpose work and more often are on spoked wheels.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roadhazardguy

Tire sizes 9 years 6 months ago #4560

• Roadhazardguy
Alright cool thanks for all the info! I run Avon Distanzia's on my supermoto and "heavy duty" tubes like they call for because of the chafing like you said.

I just asked about the tubes because I took a quick look at my rear wheel and it has a metal valve stem with two nuts on it, just looked like it might have a tube in there.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds