• Page:

TOPIC:

Front Fork Dust Covers 9 years 8 months ago #3890

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Today I learned an interesting fact about my 1980 1300 A2- the ugly fork gaiters on the front end actually REPLACE the stock dust covers. As there's no way I'm keeping what I have, and (surprise surprise) KZ1300-specific dust covers are impossible to find, I wondered if this was a universal part, i.e. a cheaper dust cover made for another bike would fit the KZ1300 just fine. Any ideas where to start? Fork dimensions (diameter, etc.) perhaps?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Front Fork Dust Covers 9 years 8 months ago #3894

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I am not a big fan of fork gaiters but they do keep the seals and legs in very good condition.
One BMW forum I am on a member said he has always had gaiters on his K100RS and has had the same seals for the life of the bike and it is one of the first produced in 1983.
I have been usung them on a bike I converted to a dual purpose and despite of thousands of kilometers of dirt roads in the aussie outback it has never had a new set of seals in 5 years.
Even the insects that you collect on the highways will destroy seals.
I have never had gaiters on my Z1300 and have had 4 sets of seals from memory and it will need new seals before it goes on the road again.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Front Fork Dust Covers 9 years 8 months ago #3901

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
That may be, but the gaiters aren't staying. It doesn't need to be exactly stock- just something black, that fits, and is the same general shape.

Front Fork Dust Covers 9 years 8 months ago #3903

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I can well unerstand you not wanting dustcovers I would not have them on my 13, ugly as.
Pyramid parts have a store on fleabay, the seal are your worst nightmare but he does also have the dust seals that go above them. They are cheap and I wont say that they are good as I have never used them but at the price worth a try. I can't think of any other bikes that have 41mm legs and that type of seal.
The BMW K100 has 41.3mm legs and a cup style of dust wiper.
realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0516&...=31_0368&hg=31&fg=42
Part #1 and there are places to buy that are MUCH cheaper than dealers
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.632 seconds