Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Voyager brake calipers 9 years 11 months ago #2858

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65

Mikez wrote: Hadn't noticed this post till just now lol. There's alot of differences in the diagrams when you look at the two bikes. The rotor on the zn doesn't have that center hub and the mounting bracketry looks different for starters. If you go forward with it you might want to make sure it'll mount up the same.

I wouldn't expect a noticeable increase in brake performance with just a slightly bigger pad. The brake is still a single piston design. If you stayed with your current calipers you could instead use the money to get pads with better material, have new braided steel lines fabricated, and make sure that your fluid is fresh and bled of any air. At that point there should be a noticeable improvement in brake performance :).

I agree with Mike:

Chances are, most 1300's have the original flimsy rubber hoses installed. There is a lot of hose flex/ expansion when the brakes are applied. (Swelling of the line)

By upgrading to braided (Teflon) lines, that should add firmness to the lever and pedal, meaning all that fluid pressure is getting to the pad's instead of bleeding into the hose.

I need to practice what I preach, my hoses are 33 years old and there is a lot of sponginess in those levers. The last bike I installed braided lines on, I was really impressed with the improved brake action.

Also consider the rotor diameter on the ZN and KZ, are they the same diameter? One may need to replace the rotor, bracket and caliper????

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Toddh.

Voyager brake calipers 9 years 11 months ago #2862

• kwak1261
  • kwak1261's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
Thanks guys, this is a completely new set up
brand new pistons and seals, new goodridge hoses and stainless fittings,
new rubbers in the master cylinder.
i have pressure bleed the system both ways and still have the typical Kawasaki spongy brake.
the brakes do work very well and have just passed the MOT test.
maybe its just me liking a firmer brake like my Vmax

Ian
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Voyager brake calipers 9 years 11 months ago #2864

• wrgoo56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Here is some thing you may want to think about.The brake system on the KZ and ZN's are heavy duty.The front braking system comes from Kawasaki Police 1000C bikes they are the same in most things but there are a few difference. The biggest one is the bolts that hold the caliper together. The 1000 police bike does not use the rubber bushing on the bolt it is free float. Your going to ask what I mean by free float. The rubber bushing on the bolts on the 1300 will hold one of the brake pads on the rotor where as with the free float the caliper returns to a center not holding any pad right against the rotor. I switch my caliper over this time when I rebuild them for two reasons. One the caliper bolts for the KZ1300 you can't get any more and you can the 1000. Two my inside pads was almost gone and the out side pad on the piston was like new. That was showing me that the inside pad was being held against the rotor all the time. The read brakes on the other hand is only used on the 1300.

Voyager brake calipers 9 years 11 months ago #2900

• kwak1261
  • kwak1261's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
WRGOO56

i know what you mean by Free Float.

the bolts have a recess half way down, i wasnt sure if there should be a rubber of some kind
at that point.
in the end i just renewed the rubber boots on the carrier and bolted them up with some
high temp grease. the calipers move freely on the bolts and dont appear to bind.
the amount of miles i do i think it might be a year or two before i notice any wear on the pads
great bit of knowledge though thanks

Ian
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds