• Page:

TOPIC:

Stubborn swingarm pins..... 7 years 9 months ago #13453

• hillsy
  • hillsy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
Any tips on how to get these turkeys out?

Looks like someone's had a go at them already - LHS one has been drilled and Helicoiled to M6.....RHS one the same but has the stub of an M6 bolt in the hole..... :blink:

I tried an M6 bolt in the LHS one and a slide hammer - nearly broke off a bolt on there and the pin didn't move a whisker. Had them "soaking" in penetrating fluid as well. Tried heating the surrounding frame with propane but still no joy....

Last night I drilled and tapped M8 threads in there but am waiting for the weekend to weld up an M8 adapter for the slide hammer.

Any other tips appreciated. Do I need some hotter gas? I've been eyeing off the Sawzall..... :angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stubborn swingarm pins..... 7 years 9 months ago #13458

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
I had the same problem, solving the issue wasn't easy. Luckily I had the engine out of the frame,
Even then it was a buggah getting the pins out destroying the bearings and oil seals.
You need to remove the drive shaft to gain access to the back of the pins, I'm not sure if you can do this with the engine in the frame
Normally you would do this by removing the swing. Catch 22
If your going to make the hole bigger then make it deeper as well and get a long thread inside then plenty of heat around the frame
Good luck
Ian
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Stubborn swingarm pins..... 7 years 9 months ago #13464

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
I had to drill and tap larger than 8mm to get them out, I think I went to 10 or 12mm fine thread. I used a large impact socket and a heavy grade washer under the bolt to make a puller. I tightened the bolt and the hit the head with a hammer to break the pin loose then used the bolt to finish extracting it. I had ZERO luck with a slide hammer.

Interesting to note, the very early 1300's had a threaded swing arm pin. I had to replace my swing arm and the used one I bought came with this style of pin and holder. I think they are FAR superior to the press in type with the set screws. I would try and find a set like this when you put it back together, they are much easier to adjust the swing arm preload and position. AND they will come back apart much easier.

1981 KZ1300
Attachments:

Stubborn swingarm pins..... 7 years 9 months ago #13472

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Tyler wrote: I had to drill and tap larger than 8mm to get them out, I think I went to 10 or 12mm fine thread. I used a large impact socket and a heavy grade washer under the bolt to make a puller. I tightened the bolt and the hit the head with a hammer to break the pin loose then used the bolt to finish extracting it. I had ZERO luck with a slide hammer.

Interesting to note, the very early 1300's had a threaded swing arm pin. I had to replace my swing arm and the used one I bought came with this style of pin and holder. I think they are FAR superior to the press in type with the set screws. I would try and find a set like this when you put it back together, they are much easier to adjust the swing arm preload and position. AND they will come back apart much easier.

I've gotta say it surprised me when I discovered the 13 had this set-up for the swingarm pivot - every other shaft drive bike I've ever worked on has had screw in pins like the ones you have pictured above.

Thanks for the tip on cutting a bigger thread - I'll have a go with the slide hammer and heat on the M8 but it's good to know I can up the size if that plan turns to poo.

Stubborn swingarm pins..... 7 years 9 months ago #13477

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
When you put them back together use some Loctite Never sieze on them, it stays there for years.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Stubborn swingarm pins..... 7 years 9 months ago #13540

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Holy crap! That was a mission.

Got them out with the M8 threads, slide hammer and MAPP gas to heat up the frame. Crazy tight but they eventually came out.

Cleaned the pins up and used some anti seize and all is good. No pics - too busy sweating and swearing to think about getting out the camera..... :unsure:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds