Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Swing arm bearing shaft removal 8 years 3 days ago #11595

• BLOOMFIELD
  • BLOOMFIELD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,cheers :( can someone tell me how to remove the bearing shafts or pins which go through the frame into the swing arm bearings. I have removed the caps but cant get the big pins out .. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Swing arm bearing shaft removal 8 years 2 days ago #11597

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
When I stripped my '80 down for plating and paint (about '83 - ONLY 2-3 YRS old) I found the swing arm pins extremely tight. I started with a liberal soaking of penetrating oil over several days. I attached a length of heavy chain to each pin using the center-bolt and "slack-chained" the pin repeatedly. Hard to explain other then to say I used the momentum of the chains weight and mass to "snap" the chain from slack to tight repeatedly - straight-out from the pin itself. The pins worked themselves out very gradually. Before re-assembly I honed the frame holes for the swing arm pin, with a brake-cyl. hone checking frequently for the pin to frame fit. You want the pins to fit snugly, but without the need to "pound" them back in and certainly not so loose that they simply push in without any resistance. Odds are your pins have never been removed so the application of some heat to the frame (around) the pin will probably be required as well. In this case I'd be less concerned about the paint being damaged and more focused on getting the pins out.

(It's often difficult to remember the objective was to Drain the Swamp....... When You're Up To Your Ass In Alligators" !

Let us know what eventually worked for you !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Swing arm bearing shaft removal 8 years 2 days ago #11599

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
One of the tools I have in my box is nothing more than a chunk of 2" round bar about 4" long with a hole up the middle. I can then screw a long bolt or a piece of threaded rod into the pin I'm pulling and then put a washer and nut on the other end. Then just slide the chunk of round bar and use it as a slide hammer.

Another favorite is a piece of 1" round bar about 2" long again with a hole up the middle and then a threaded rod about 10" long threaded in place of the adjustment screw of a pair of vice grips. Now you have a pair of vice grips with a slide hammer in the end of the vice grip. That one works great when you're trying to pull out a split pin from a blind hole.

Got to share the "tricks of the trade"
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Swing arm bearing shaft removal 8 years 2 days ago #11600

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
First & foremost, drill & tap the holes in the pins out to M8. If you use an M5 bolt to try & pull the pins out they WILL shear off. I rigged a puller up & braced it against the frame. Be ready to lose some frame paint.
I love the description in the manual: "Insert M5 bolt & remove pin with pliers" ...yeah right :whistle:
Only dead fish go with the flow

Swing arm bearing shaft removal 8 years 2 days ago #11601

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
What ever method you use I would firstly drill and re-tap the hole and thread to a far larger bolt, can't remember the original size but it aint a lot of use for those pivot pins that have probably never been removed or greased since built. These can be utter Bastards to remove, what I usually do is drill and re-tap first to bigger bolt M10, then revert to the previous post. Once cleaned prior to replacement and copper slip added they should slide in and out with ease, Add it to your annual maintenance schedule and the problem won't recur
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

Swing arm bearing shaft removal 8 years 2 days ago #11602

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
Phil and Mark both have the right idea.
I tried pulling on the 5 MM. Bolt that I inserted and pulled the thread out completely.
Luckily I had the engine removed I also removed the drive shaft, you can then get to the back of the
Pin on the drive shaft side and drive it out with a long pointed punch, once that side is out you can then insert a long punch right through the swing arm onto the back of the other pin and tap it out.
I got fed up with tapping and used a 2 lb lump hammer as mine were rusted in.
Hope this helps

Ian
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500
The following user(s) said Thank You: BLOOMFIELD

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds