• Page:

TOPIC:

replacement swingarm pivot covers 8 years 1 month ago #11293

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I lost one of the covers years ago so came up with this idea. As there are countless instructions available on fiberglassing the details of this aspect are omitted. The photos should be self explanatory: Imbed an existing cover in plaster. A large socket ballasts the cover to prevent it from floating. When the plaster has set, slip the cover out 1/4" and pour another layer of plaster of paris to the top edge. This will give the mould the depth required for the piece to fully cover the swing-arm pivot hardware. Any of the slurry that might get into the inside of the cover is easily removed when set. 2 layers of 6oz cloth were used. WAX the plaster mould! The magnet must be radiused to allow it to sit deep in the fiberglass cover, is epoxied in place and holds the cover in place very securely. The magnets are available on ebay.

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.

replacement swingarm pivot covers 8 years 1 month ago #11295

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Nicely done Scotch. I like the plaster of paris mold. Easy material to work with, cheap and readily available. The finish comes out really nice due to the consistency of the plaster.

Did you use carnauba wax or paraffin wax, maybe bee's wax??

replacement swingarm pivot covers 8 years 1 month ago #11296

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
I used mould-parting wax but I think any good quality paste wax would work. There will be some tiny flaws to fill. Mixing the Plaster thoroughly entraps some tiny air bubbles. Tapping the container vigorously removes most of them but plaster sets fast!
And correct KB: The materials are relatively inexpensive. I was lucky in that I had left overs from the custom air-intake I made, so no cost parse.
These are less likely to "fall off" as the magnet requires the piece to be pulled straight off to initially disengage. Any angular movement "jams" the magnet on hardware. Any slight dislodging still allows the magnet to pull the cover back into place. With the OEM piece, once a couple of the claws begin to disengage, the part is off, and gone.

replacement swingarm pivot covers 8 years 1 month ago #11298

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
The magnets are on ebay as: 10PCS D45x8mm hole 22mm Strong Power Black Dics Ferrite Y30 Round Magnet Hot

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds