Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

it's happened again !! 8 years 7 months ago #8594

• kza13
  • kza13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
My bloody tacho cable has broken again, this one isn't that old, and I made sure the cable was well lubricated when I put it in, it was a new part, this will be the second one in a couple of years, they just seem to screw off down near where it goes into the tappet cover, wonder if it has to do with the "S" shape it ends up being when putting it in, maybe a bit shorter cable would be better ??, oh well another browse on e-bay to get a NOS part, never like the reproduction ones. Does anyone run it differently than out of the head and up to the tacho, would love to find a bit longer path to straighten out the cable a bit, cheers Pete.
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kza13.

it's happened again !! 8 years 7 months ago #8595

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
This kind of threw me for a bit when I was putting my 1300 together. How are you routing it?

For me, the cable ran straight up out of the engine, outside the first (horizontal) frame member it hits. The only section I rant it INSIDE the frame was the small section shared by the upper radiator hose. Then, it curved straight up, through the assorted wiring and whatnot near the headlight and brackets, to the gauges.

I do admit, it's still a pretty severe routing for a cable. Mine's worked for 30 miles, but then again... (it's only 30 miles). Was this aftermarket, or a stock cable?

Kind of hard to straighten it out longer than this, without introducing more loops and whorls that (I would imagine) would make things worse.

it's happened again !! 8 years 7 months ago #8598

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Make sure the drive tang isn't bent a tad you will see it wobbling when running. I havent seen a Z1300 do it but have seen quite a few Hondas do it and having it run away at an angle as it exits the drive is definately not good.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

it's happened again !! 8 years 7 months ago #8599

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
My problem was, initially, it wasn't enraged in the drive fully. Apparently, the cable is short enough that that it can be above the drive gear/shaft on the head/valve cover, and still engage in the gauge fully.

Basically? Set the cable in the engine first, turn the motor over a bit (so you know it's spinning/working), THEN screw it into the gauge cluster.

(I can get a photo of my routing, if you want it.)

it's happened again !! 8 years 7 months ago #8602

• paulb
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi
had the same issue with mine and replaced the cable a couple of times but it turned out to be the tacho had gummed up over the years and although it was still turning appeared to be putting too much of a strain on the cable once it was cleaned issue disappeared
paulb

it's happened again !! 8 years 7 months ago #8607

• Torque59
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS
  • Thank you received: 13
I had a similar experience with my bike. I had the gauges serviced at a place on Evans Rd, Salisbury. They said it was just as well as one of the bearings was starting to seize up which would have caused cables to break and other issues. I can only imagine that yours may have a similar problem. If you like I can PM you the name, address and phone number.

Cheers
Restored an 1976 Suzuki GT550B
Restored an 1982 Kawasaki Z1300 A4.
Also rides a 2014 Triumph Rocket Roadster, 2300cc of pure fun.

POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds