Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Replacement Rear shocks question 9 years 3 weeks ago #6629

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
This is what I did.
Working on the old adage that with suspension you do have to pay, with Ohlin's being at the top, I bought YSS RG 362-360 TRCL for about $ 900 nearly 6 years ago. They have 3 postion damping, 26 clicks for rebound and pre-load. The spring choice is determined with a questionare before purchase, so in that respect they are custom made- along with bushing size. THe length can be adjusted 10mm.
Once I received the shocks I checked for static sag, rider sag and so on , and then returned the springs for a softer rate.
There is a huge amount of adjustability available and I needed that option because what I pack on the bike varies greatly and I do alot of miles at one time.
If the bike is used infrequently , then these shocks are a bit of an over kill- there is good suspension available for half the price.

www.yssusa.com/series-g.html

On the front forks , I installed new springs , Fitted YSS PD valve which essentially turns the fork into cartidge type - the valve controls the oil flow up the fork and then made up some adjusters to add pre-load to the springs should it be necessary.
glenn
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replacement Rear shocks question 8 years 2 months ago #10986

• m_gurney
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey Scotch,

Did you buy those shocks in the end? I just asked the same question before I saw yours (sorry mod!)

Just interested to know if you did get them if they were any good, as i am on the lookout for some shocks now too.

Cheers,
Matt
Biggest regret, selling my Voyager!

Replacement Rear shocks question 8 years 2 months ago #10999

• Torque59
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS
  • Thank you received: 13
Hey Scotch,

I have a set of these on my bike at the moment. I got them as a fill in until I can get a better set. As a generic set of shocks they are ok. When I first put them on I found that the setting was to soft, especially if you have someone on the back, they bottomed out. They have a couple of locking rings which use a c spanner on them, spanner is provided with the shocks, and I have adjusted them so that they are comfortable with two people on. Unfortunately this has made them a little to hard when riding solo. They operate safely and without any wobbles or shakes when travelling at speed ( within speed limits) and hold the bike on a solid line when cornering.
I wouldn't say that they were the best shocks on the market but by the same token I have experienced far worse as well. I think it gets back to you get what you pay for. For me they are filling a niche until such time as I am in a better positon to get some better quality ones.
Hope this helps.
Restored an 1976 Suzuki GT550B
Restored an 1982 Kawasaki Z1300 A4.
Also rides a 2014 Triumph Rocket Roadster, 2300cc of pure fun.

POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS
The following user(s) said Thank You: m_gurney

Replacement Rear shocks question 8 years 2 months ago #11011

• m_gurney
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Torque,

Many thanks for the response and info, I'll keep looking for a little longer for options, if nothing else, then will go with these..... I am tired of needing 2 lanes to ride in a straight line at 75mph!

Many thanks,
Matt
Biggest regret, selling my Voyager!

Replacement Rear shocks question 8 years 2 months ago #11013

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Have you considered having your shockies rebuilt. Quite a few of the guys on a BMW forum I belong to go to Brooks
www.brooksuspension.co.uk/ and they have been very happy with them.
There is a guy in Australia close to me that does them. I think it was KZA13 who had a set done by him not long ago.
Many of the rebuilders do some tweaks with the factory shocks and they can work very well. Like the guy here said there is no such thing as a shockie that cant be fixed.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Replacement Rear shocks question 8 years 1 month ago #11015

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
I bought a set of the JBS and am quite pleased with them so far. I'm 175-180lbs and found that a few turns on the pre-load springs give me a comfortable ride.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds