Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Wanted - Carb slide duracon washer 9 years 1 week ago #7087

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
This is a good read for anyone who is thinking about making parts to replace items no longer available. The subject is Galvanic corrosion which is caused by the anodic voltage difference between dissimilar metals. I would suggest you spend 5 minutes of your time reading this page to get a fundamental understanding of this topic. And while pondering this information, think about the anti-seize paste you use on your fasteners. Some are copper based, some are nickel based and others are lead based. Use the wrong anti-seize with a fastener and you've just introduced yet another metal in paste form to the equation.

www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wanted - Carb slide duracon washer 9 years 1 week ago #7094

• Craig
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 43
Having read through all the posts, what would your thoughts be on having these punched out of a modified PTFE 0.5mm sheet. Modified in so much as the material won't "cold flow" under pressure, it is chemically inert, won't adhere to any other material and is suitable up to 260 Deg C.
Kawaboy, if you think this is an option, being in the fluid sealing industry (gasket manufacturing etc.), I can have these made up. Let me know your thoughts.

Wanted - Carb slide duracon washer 9 years 1 week ago #7097

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Sounds interesting. I had a quick look at "modified PTFE and I see it's tougher than standard PTFE. I would think standard PTFE wouldn't bear the load of the throttle pistons pounding down in them when they're only .020" thick but possibly modified PTFE would manage the load. It would be worth testing. My only caution here would be the tolerances in ID OD. There's not much room for error.

when I first looked at the Duracon washers I noted that they were what appeared to be a fiber reinforced resin material and reminded me of the 2 stoke reeds so much that I had to pull one out to compare. The springy toughness seemed to be the same and I know that the reeds are soaked in gasoline all the time and being a resin like material, softer than the other parts in contact I thought it was worth a shot. Only took me 45 minutes to make the first one and I managed to replicate the original to within .002" using a carbide burr and a hand file. I was really happy with the result. Made up one and sent it to Zed_thirteen and I think he was very surprised at how close it was to the original.

Still, there's an opportunity here for manufacturing and I'd like to see how turns out. Good luck!!

Last edit: by Kawboy. Reason: spelling

Wanted - Carb slide duracon washer 7 years 8 months ago #13683

• zed_thirteen
  • zed_thirteen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Hi Kawboy,

The other day I had to sweep out my garage because I'm moving house. Guess what I found :-)
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds