Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Holly Green 9 years 7 months ago #4493

• Ralpharama
  • Ralpharama's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I have finally decided that I want to re-paint my A5 in the original colours of a Holly Green A3 as this was the first 13 I saw in the flesh and have lusted after one ever since.Early last year I scratched the thirty one year old itch and am now smitten.

I haven't had much luck on finding images on google to go by.

Have any of you guys got any pix of a Holly Green A3 you could send me so I can get the colour and stripes as close as possible to correct. I have a painter standing by. I am assuming that the original colour would have been a candy? I guess I'll have to match the colour as close as I can as I don't believe Kawasaki did any proper paint codes in those days.

Before anyone suggests RS Bike Paints .. their paint is now water based to keep the tree huggers happy and is monsterously expensive :ohmy: I want proper 2 pack with plenty of nice isocyanates :evil: I would paint it myself, but the tank is sooo big that I would struggle laying on candy over that sort of area :woohoo:

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanx

Ralph
Ralph Ferrand

Z1300A5 Godier Genoud, Z650, H2C, Z900A4, Z1000A1, GPZ1100A1 Unitrak, ZRX1200R, RD250B, DT175, YZFR6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Holly Green 9 years 3 months ago #5871

• Kawanut
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Ralph, have you had any luck in finding a decal set for the A3 Holly green? I have two NOS side covers in A3 green and have always wanted to paint one like it. This color was not delivered in Norway only ebony. I've finally got my hands on a 1981 and found a guy in Sweden who painted his a couple of years ago. He thought he had got the decal set from UK back then and would check for me.
Klas

Holly Green 9 years 2 months ago #5896

• Ralpharama
  • Ralpharama's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for your message. In the end I found a photo on the internet of a bike in green that looked like the one I remembered from my youth so I printed it out and gave it to a local painter. I didn't want decals, I wanted the lines painted. I spent ages agonising about the colour of the green. In the end I decided on a candy green with a very dark, almost black base so that it really flips in the sun light. The stripes I have used are gold and a much lighter green. I think the painter used a silver base over the dark base under the candy for the light green. I'm pleased with the result, though I haven't put the tank on the bike yet as I'm still working on screen printing the handlebar switches - a bloody nightmare! I have at last found an ink that will key to the powder coat. Now I have to make a jig to hold the switches and have to rapidly learn how to screen print!
Ralph Ferrand

Z1300A5 Godier Genoud, Z650, H2C, Z900A4, Z1000A1, GPZ1100A1 Unitrak, ZRX1200R, RD250B, DT175, YZFR6

Holly Green 9 years 2 months ago #5901

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Looking forward to hearing how you get on with your screen printing. I've always thought that that must be the way to go - but have no idea how to go about doing it.
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Holly Green 9 years 2 months ago #5902

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
guess it's too late, hope it helps anyhow:

Foto taken myself years ago as it was the frist time I saw the original Luminous Holly Green

regards

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe
Attachments:

Holly Green 9 years 2 months ago #5906

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
MY KZ900 came in that color. Here it is repainted but without any pinstripping.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds