Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #14113

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137

Mightyzod wrote: Zed_thirteen:

You mention that you think a ZG1300 might fit my 80B model 1300, but it lacks a fuel pressure return. Since my bike is not injected, would such a tank work on mine? I ask because I have found a decent deal on a ZG1300 tank.
Is there any way to verify the fit?

Big thanks,
MZ

Hi MZ
I was only trying to point out the possible differences and which tank would fit which bike. I think you can put a tank from an injected model onto a carb model but if you put a tank from a carb model onto an injected model then there will be nowhere for the return fuel.

In my opinion your tank is an original B2 tank, which is a carb model, and should fit any carb model frame - KZ/Z1300 A1 to A5 (I think) or the KZ1300-B2.

Just one other thought - I'm sure you are but... You are routing the fuel line down past the left of the frame rail and not trying to pass it over any of the frame rails?
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #14114

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
when I install my tank (a B2 tank on B2 frame) I think I always lay it on the frame behind the front rubber mounts with the rear bolt hole at the correct level and then slide it forward on to the rubber mounts. The last 1cm or 2cm is always tight though
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #14123

• Mightyzod
  • Mightyzod's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Excellent. I think, after all of the measuring and conjecture, I cam sum it up as...right tank, but screwed up. I am working on picking up another tank, which brings up another question (surprise). I notice that some tanks have the Kawasaki emblem mounted directly to the tank, while others are placed on those huge mounts on the tank. I personally love the mounts for the badges, but would like to know why the difference.

As always, my deepest appreciation for all of the help.

MZ

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #14126

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Different badges and setups for different years and models. The shapes of the tanks are different as well. My 79/80 had the raised chrome mounts with the badges. Tank bulges out over the engine and is more squared off. My 81 has more of a rounded tank and the badge is mounted directly on the tank. The tanks are still interchangeable.

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #14128

• Tuckabag
  • Thank you received: 0
If you are certain that the tank is bulged underneath and are willing to go down the replacement tank road, why not try giving the current tank some "persuasion" to get it to fit?
Personally if I'd got to the point of no return, I'd give that a crack, nothing lost if you bugger the tank.
I would mount some blue-tack or similar in thin strips where I suspected the tank was fouling, mount it up and then give it a bit of a tap in the offending areas. Can't hurt if you're willing to junk it anyway.
1980 Z1300, 2006 SV650, 1956 BMW R25/3 resto project, 1999 Husky WR250

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #14133

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25

Tuckabag wrote: I would mount some blue-tack or similar in thin strips where I suspected the tank was fouling, mount it up and then give it a bit of a tap in the offending areas. Can't hurt if you're willing to junk it anyway.

That's a great idea. That way you'll see where it is hitting the frame.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds