Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Secondary Shaft Bearings? 9 years 2 months ago #6208

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
IF the shaft is damaged, there are lots of them on eBay right now. One of them looks really good and is only $23/free-ship. Under the ZN1300 section there were even a few complete trannies with the secondary shaft for $55, incl.ship.

A couple of the shafts shown had almost identical damage to that same journal, so maybe this is not such a rare issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by trikebldr.

Secondary Shaft Bearings? 9 years 2 months ago #6209

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
OK, slapping the back of my head for you Bruce. I figured if I made some dumb comment, somebody would jump in here and "correct" me.
I've come across this before and the polishing paper has worked for me. Judging by the photo, the plating is less than .0001" thick, and copper would have melted before the steel shaft. Copper melts around 2000 F and steel up around 2600 F. I would doubt that it got hot enough to braze the copper and steel together such that there was a blending of the metals at the surface. It's possible but if that happened the bearing would have spun in the case. You can't friction fuse to metals together without a lot of force. Typically the crush on a plain bearing in a case depending on diameter is around .002-.004". That's not a lot to hold it from spinning and that's why you'll see the split at the half joint of the bearing has ears that lock into slots machined into the case. Then the ears bear rotational load if any on the opposite case half.

I'm sure that this is not any "news" to you Bruce knowing you background, but I put it up here for others that are trying to learn from this experience.

Now it's my turn to shut up for now.

Secondary Shaft Bearings? 9 years 2 months ago #6211

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97

trikebldr wrote: Under the ZN1300 section there were even a few complete trannies with the secondary shaft for $55, incl.ship.

When I did the damage to the cases I found a set of cases in Canada, paid the guy including shipping to Australia, next thing I get is a refund because he said the cases were either "over the size or weight limit for postage", lucky I had another set of cases here and a spare shaft, and I still have another complete motor to harvest parts from, pity the cases from Canada were nice and shiney, and you know I like shiney things like chrome fuel filters :-)
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Secondary Shaft Bearings? 9 years 2 months ago #6353

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
I'm probably going to polish the secondary shaft journals up a bit, but from what I can tell, even though the bearing was shot enough to close over the hole, no copper was exposed (ie, it didn't eat though the babbitt metal). The journal is actually in VERY good shape, and looks worse than it is due to my cell phone camera's flash.

The engine case halves are definitely going to get a good going-through with compressed air before everything is buttoned up, but the main thing is that the secondary shafts only take one size bearings. I just want to be sure I'm ordering the right thing (mainly because I'll be having to order ALL my bearings via the German shop).

Secondary Shaft Bearings? 9 years 2 months ago #6354

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97

Lucien-Harpress wrote: I just want to be sure I'm ordering the right thing (mainly because I'll be having to order ALL my bearings via the German shop).

Do what I did, send him an e-mail asking about the bearings and what you need, he's very helpful and helped me a lot when I was ordering stuff, also some stuff I found was cheaper getting them from the English Place (www.zed-parts.com/) also worth asking about stuff via an e-mail, also very helpful people, both places do re-builds of 13's so they know what they are talking about, cheers
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Secondary Shaft Bearings? 9 years 2 months ago #6406

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
I've actually dealt with the people at zed-parts.com before (it's how I got my genuine air filter). Really nice people, pleasant to deal with. Can't see anything they have I can't get more "locally" just as easily, but there are a couple tempting things in the catalog..... :)

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds