• Page:

TOPIC:

Water Pump Puller 9 years 5 months ago #5005

• Tyler
  • Tyler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Getting ready to send my cylinder block to the machinist, and I had been procrastinating about how to remove the water pump without messing anything up. I tired at first with some locking pliers and couldn't get the impeller to move, I was afraid I would break it that way.

I made this puller using some 1/8 inch cold-rolled steel rod. It was just strong enough to remove the impeller. I don't know what the dealers used to do this work, was there a factory tool to pull these apart?

this was not an easy task. I had to tighten the bolt up until the arms started to bend and then tap the bolt to slide the impeller out about .010" at a time. If I tried to reposition the puller, the o-ring on the shaft would pull the impeller back and I would loose my progress.

It did come apart without damage to the impeller or the housing.

1981 KZ1300
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob4717, zed_thirteen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tyler.

Water Pump Puller 9 years 5 months ago #5008

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Well, good for you - it all worked out . They never come apart easy. I used a small upholstery hammer and taped shaft and impeller out from the other end as one piece , then lots of soaking in wd40 for several days.
While waiting on the parts soaking I checked both Ron Ayers and Kawasaki Parts Nation and both sellers had these parts available -but now they don't- or at least not on their web sites.
It was good you could salvage the parts you had
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Water Pump Puller 9 years 5 months ago #5009

• Tyler
  • Tyler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
I though the seal housing had to come off in order to get the shaft out? Looking at it again it appears not... so I could have pulled the impeller off with the shaft... now I feel dumb :blush:

I would not want to do this job with the engine in the bike, that would be no fun at all...
1981 KZ1300
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie9670

Last edit: by Tyler.

Water Pump Puller 9 years 5 months ago #5010

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
That puller is ideal! :) And you're right, that job isn't fun with the engine installed.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Water Pump Puller 9 years 5 months ago #5011

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Nicely done Tyler! The rest of us have learned something. That's quite a contribution to the site.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds