• Page:

TOPIC:

Valve and Head Questions 9 years 6 months ago #4808

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
So, my 1980 KZ1300 has low compression on one cylinder, and I've pretty well narrowed it down to something with the valves. I'm going to send the head out to get it rebuilt, but because I don't know exactly what's wrong, I'm not sure what replacement parts I would need, or if it's possible to get them. Mainly, the valves and valve guides.

Are these 1300-specific, or were they shared with other models?

Also, as far as cleaning the old head gasket off the engine block- is it worth removing the studs to make it easier, or not worth the trouble?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Valve and Head Questions 9 years 6 months ago #4852

• homer01
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Should have no problems getting guides , valves I wouldn't have a clue but unless bent a good valve grind with new guides the job should be right but the mechanic doing your head should inform you about your valves, should be able to clean old gasket away without removing studs but if you feel that you must that is your call, I am no mechanic BTW but just suggesting my thoughts which could be totally wrong :lol:

Valve and Head Questions 9 years 6 months ago #4858

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
I just had my 1300 head done this summer. Had 65K miles on it and needed a valve job. The seals were toast and the valves showed signs of cupping and had to be replaced. You can find some NOS factory valves if you look around but for a complete set you can buy Vesrah parts. They are good quality. Don't know where you are, but you can't get exhaust valves in the US, I had to buy a set from Z-Power in the UK, it was not cheap. In hind sight I would have been better off getting a set of stainless valves made. Guides and seals are 7mm and can be found easily. I did not need to replace any of the guides or valve springs. If you need springs you can put heavy duty springs in, the 13's share springs and buckets with the 4 cylinder kz1000's. Good luck!

Vesrah part numbers are: GG-4013-IN and GG-4013-EX for the valves.

I had this one resurfaced, ported and flow matched on a computerized flow bench.

1981 KZ1300
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tyler.

Valve and Head Questions 9 years 6 months ago #4859

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Thanks. I managed to snag a complete head off of eBay for cheap, valves included. Way I figure, if I need new valves, I've got six chances of having a good replacement.

How much did the head job run you?

Valve and Head Questions 9 years 6 months ago #4860

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
The machine work and porting cost me $600 plus I had to supply all of the parts. I had it flow bench tested out of curiosity really, I'm putting high lift cams in this engine and need to make sure the head will be able to handle the increased flow.

A simple valve job and resurface should be the range of $200 to $300 I would think. I looked at buying used parts as well, but with all of the work I had put into the head I figured I should put new stuff in. That said going the stainless valve route is actually cheaper if you are faced with needing valves...
1981 KZ1300

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds