Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

6 bent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 9 years 8 months ago #4291

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Looks like someone built the engine or set the timing who does not have the required experience to do the job (or knows it all !).
To bend 6 valves takes quite a bit of doing as the timing would need to be well out or something else.
It is VITAL the timing marks & pistons are in the exact correct position when the cams are positioned in the head as until them all 12 valves are fully closed.......or should be.
If NOT.......then as soon as you begin to tighten the cam lobes......you are bending valves.....before the engine even runs.

You also need to be very careful how you fit new valves with a spring compressor as I have seen people bend valves by being to heavy handed just fitting them into the head alone.

Its a job that takes a lot of concentration & expertize & needs to be done slowly & very carefully or IT WILL GO WRONG.

Hope you get sorted.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: bobber-edd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 bent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 9 years 8 months ago #4307

• bobber-edd
  • bobber-edd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
just to go over a few points here firstly i can not download the service manual !!! any help here would be great ..
this bike was my old bike in 1989 and ive not seen it since then,where it stopped working due to low lol or no compression at all ,i have taken this on to fix up and now have the head off to find these bent valve .......ummm well the timing looks ok with the cam lobes pointing together > < sort of thing cam chain tensioner looks to be working ok what else shall I do ??
zed 13 1979 A1 model

6 bent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 9 years 8 months ago #4309

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
You don't really have any choice except put another head on it or replace the valves with new or used. I looked at the picture you put up and to me the damage has been done while the engine was not running so a skipped tooth on the cam chain is highly unlikely. Unless the tensioner was not installed at that time.
If you only recently got the bike back did the previous person have it running or was it only stored there.
To me it looks as if the cams have been put in and not timed correctly and the valves have bent while turning the engine by hand and then the timing has been fixed.
Having seen the head it doesn't look in the best condition and I would be looking for a better one with little or no corrosion.
Quite often there is little point in mulling over why because sometimes you just don't ever find out.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: bobber-edd

6 bent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 9 years 8 months ago #4335

• bobber-edd
  • bobber-edd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
yes i got it as a non runner with no compression its not been run since 89 where the old girl was pushed yes pushed home 11 miles lol by a bloke like the terminator lol still the bike was FREE so I am not complaining just cost me a courier to get it to me ,i just need a lot of help on this old project cheers for all the help so far ,i have a nightmare of a wiring harness to try a sort too
zed 13 1979 A1 model

6 bent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 9 years 8 months ago #4346

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Cripes 11 miles you would need to be built like the terminator.
It happened while the engine was running, Hmmm must be losing the touch now I have retired
I am going to have to completely rewire mine as the insulation is really hard especially under the tank where all the heat is. Although the wiring is still as it came so it should be a straight forward job but still time consuming.
If you can find someone with an ultrasonic cleaner the corrosion may lift away from the allow and allow it to be used again. Also try come vinegar that will often lift that white gunk.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

6 bent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 9 years 7 months ago #4354

• lucasind
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
....Can some one post the correct part # for the ZX 11 cam chain tensioner that is used on the 13 -6. thanx

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds