Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Hydraulic Clutch Converstion 9 years 1 month ago #6808

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I'm interested, I you have one left. PM sent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hydraulic Clutch Converstion 7 years 11 months ago #12276

• McZed
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
Just completed the hydraulic clutch conversion on my bike and it’s a massive improvement on the heavy cable operated lever. The installation however was not without its problems and didn’t go quite as smoothly as the instructions on the forum. I used the master and slave cylinders from a Kawasaki zzr 1200 and for the mounting plate I used 5mm aluminium. I couldn’t get 6mm as it said in the original posting.
On the first attempt the mounting plate didn’t seem strong enough and you could see it flexing when the lever was operated, and the clutch operation was a bit hit and miss.
I’m not an engineer but I reckoned the aluminium I was using was too soft. So this is how I managed to get it to work, I must add that if you are from a precision engineering background and of a sensitive disposition stop reading this post now. I’m a builder, so some of my engineering solutions may be a bit suspect.
I used a second aluminium plate and glued them together with epoxy resin; this gave me a 10 mm thick laminated mounting plate. This made the slave cylinder piston too far away from the clutch actuator bolt. To solve this I epoxied a 5 pence coin then two 1 pence coins into the bottom of the piston, using them as shims. I also had to counter sink the head of the bolt at the 2 o’clock position in the photo till it was flush with the back of the mounting plate because it was catching on the clutch casing.
I connected it up using a 62 inch flexible hose, although I feel this is maybe 2 inches too long. Bled the system, after a bit if jiggling about it is working well, and it’s light and responsive to use. :)

Z1300 UK
Attachments:

Last edit: by McZed.

Hydraulic Clutch Converstion 7 years 11 months ago #12277

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Thats my kind of engineering, can I tell the joke about copper wire being invented by two Scotsmen arguing over a one pence piece ;)
:) Z13 UK

Hydraulic Clutch Converstion 7 years 11 months ago #12289

• McZed
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
I would like to add that I will clean and polish it up a bit, I like to see how things will work before dealing with the aesthetics.
I had it out for a long run yesterday and it works a treat, it's definitely a modification worth doing. :cheer:

Charlie, are you implying that us Scotsmen are a wee bit careful where money is concerned
:P ;)
Z1300 UK

Last edit: by McZed.

Hydraulic Clutch Converstion 2 years 10 months ago #29225

• murderhornet
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all! I'm actually hoping to do this on my KZ1300 and had a couple of quick questions. 
I understand the instructions in the OP, and get that there needs to be a custom cut plate there to mount the slave cylinder, but I'm not 100% sure on what needs to happen under the plate. As far as I can tell, the lever and nut on the adjustment bolt need to be removed, and I know that the pushrod is behind the adjustment bolt, but I'm just not sure what else needs to happen?
Does the slave cylinder push on the adjustment bolt? It seems like it wouldn't budge since it's actually screwed in there?
Does the adjustment bolt need to be removed? If so, then wouldn't the slave cylinder be too far from the pushrod? 
Am I missing something super obvious? :D

Hydraulic Clutch Converstion 2 years 10 months ago #29231

• murderhornet
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all! Thanks for posting instructions on how to do this! I'm actually hoping to do this mod soon on my '81 KZ1300 and I had a couple of questions about how the slave cylinder and clutch pushrod are supposed to interact.
From what I can tell, the clutch release lever and the nut on the adjustment bolt both need to be removed. But what then?
Is the slave cylinder supposed to meet up with and push down on the adjustment bolt (which then pushes on the pushrod behind it)? Seems like it wouldn't budge, given that it's a bolt and bolted in, right?
If not, then does the adjustment bolt come out? If so, then do you need to add something else to bridge the gap between the slave cylinder and the pushrod?
Am I totally just missing something super obvious?
Any help would be amazing! Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds