Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1300B2 Won't start 7 years 1 month ago #15985

• Craig
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 43
Hello tx4726.....this maybe a silly question, but when you installed your new accel coils...did you remove the ballast resistor?

Having read the posts, I agree with most that your problem is carb related. Scotch has some excellent posts and tips on carburettor cleaning within this forum that you can look up and get some tips from.

I hope you succeed soon .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Craig.

KZ1300B2 Won't start 7 years 4 weeks ago #15992

• tx4726
  • tx4726's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
The ballast resistor was removed. I spent several hours reading the FAQ and everything else I could find on coil replacement before starting this project. I've also read Scotch's many posts about carbs, seems to know his field. The carbs are still soaking, gonna give them plenty of love this time.
1980 KZ1300 B Original owner, 2010 Concours 1400, 1986 Yamaha XT 600, 1984 Suzuki SP250, 1985 SP 200, Yamaha Grizzley 600. Too many toys.

KZ1300B2 Won't start 7 years 4 weeks ago #16000

• dogfight
  • Thank you received: 2
B) Hey tx;

Looks like you're getting lots of good advice. The only thing I'd add is that the secondary carb circuit is one that can bung up easily. When you get in there, blow the air circuit out from the carb intake end as the ports will trap gunk and continue to vex, even if you blow them out from the jet end. I use a little carb cleaner first and then back blow them out.
Seems to help and makes balancing the carbs easier.
Hang in there bro. If it was easy, everybody'd do it right the first time. (Took me three times.)

Dogfight.

KZ1300B2 Won't start 7 years 4 weeks ago #16007

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Regardless of the condition of the carbs, the engine should, at the very least, have coughed / fired when you sprayed ether or fuel into the carb throats. You've got air and fuel, so if there is a spark then there should be evidence of ignition of that mixture, even if it does not make the engine run And that would apply, surely, even if the valve timing was out (if the cam chain has jumped). Do you have a good spark if you take a plug out and lay it on the cylinder head.

KZ1300B2 Won't start 7 years 4 weeks ago #16020

• tx4726
  • tx4726's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Progress report.....While the carbs were in the cleaner, I took off the cam cover....The exhaust cam was out of specs by 3 teeth.(too far advanced) :sick: My buddy and I reset the timing and I put it back together this evening. I reassembled the carbs and installed them also. I will try to start it tomorrow. Thanks for all your help and inputs, cross your fingers and I'm going hunting for a 4 leaf clover. I'll give a report when I have something to report.
1980 KZ1300 B Original owner, 2010 Concours 1400, 1986 Yamaha XT 600, 1984 Suzuki SP250, 1985 SP 200, Yamaha Grizzley 600. Too many toys.

KZ1300B2 Won't start 7 years 4 weeks ago #16023

• Craig
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 43
Your bike started and ran for two minutes......obviously the valve timing was correct at that point I would assume.....so why would the timing chain jump 3 teeth on the exhaust cam thereafter? Faulty chain tensioner? If you're running with the original cam chain tensioner I would seriously consider carrying out the modification on it. There are are few posts you can search for that explain the dillinger and tapping of the old tensioners and the fitting of an M6 adjustable bolt to prevent the oid tensioner recoil....for use of a better word!

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds