Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Time for a clutch? 7 years 4 months ago #15201

• LareNurminen
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 162
If you mean the clutch cover gasket, the answer is yes. One place in the US is partzilla.com. They also have great drawings of the assemblies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time for a clutch? 7 years 4 months ago #15202

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Great. Thanks Lare.

Is there a need to replace the steel plates or should I inspect them and scuff them before reinstalling?

Edit: They don't have the gasket anymore. Listed as obsolete and no price. They do have springs but no clutch plates, steel or friction.

Last edit: by Ledkz1300.

Time for a clutch? 7 years 4 months ago #15203

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Gerald
Not long ago I had my clutch apart, and by good fortune managed to find a Kwak genune clutch cover gasket at a local dealer: may not be of use to you, but Zed Parts in the UK have quality pattern gaskets, and ship globally if you are having probs finding one.
www.zed-parts.com/z1300-engine-parts

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Time for a clutch? 7 years 4 months ago #15204

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Just go to www.ebay.com 19 listings for the new friction plates ranging from $49.00-$89.00 U.S. There's also a clutch cover gasket listed for $9.99. I buy all kinds of items off of EBay and never had a problem. Get set up on PayPal with your credit card and purchasing items on EBay is a snap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ledkz1300

Time for a clutch? 7 years 4 months ago #15205

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks again. I got everything I needed... springs, friction plates and gaskets all in with shipping for $105 USD.

Time for a clutch? 7 years 2 months ago #15431

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Kawboy wrote: In my humble opinion, clutches don't get better or worse with a change of temperature. The lubricity of the oil will definately have an effect. So the first question that needs to be asked is what oil are you using and how old is it. Is the oil JASO MA certified because that's the standard for momtorcycles to meet the requirements of an oil running in an engine which also services the transmission. There are many oil modifiers blended in with oil which will adversing affect the shifting and the grip of the clutch. Really important that you respect the JASO MA standard. One of the few aautomobile oils (actually for diesel engines) that meets this standard is Shell Rotella T6 in a 5W40 weight. There's a lot of guys using this oil because the cost is very reasonable and the quality is supurb. A; word of caution if you do decide to use the Rotella T is that not all of the Rotella product line is rated to the JASO MA standard only a few and only in certain weights.

If you do decide to pull the clutch and inspect the plates you might as well pull the oil pan and check the oil pick up screen. Most of the guys here that have pulled the oil pan and checked the screen have found partial blockages. Well worth the effort if for nothing else than a piece of mind.\if you do pull the oil pan, you can also have a look at the primary and secondary drive chains. They're right there as well. Also a good time to clean the crud off of the oil level indicator.
That's my 2 cents. Should keep you busy for at least a day.
Cheers

Kawboy, is there a secret to removing the oil pan with the header installed or do I have to take it off? It looks like I do but I wanted to ask before I did something stupid like taking apart the header. I think I will swap with the oil pan off my 81 while I am at it.

Last edit: by Ledkz1300.
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds