• Page:

TOPIC:

How to remove a siezed water pump impellor 7 years 5 months ago #14680

• Neville
  • Neville's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
For anyone who needs to remove a water pump impeller that has seized onto the drive shaft (not unusual after 30+ years) this is the method I finally arrived at - a simple puller and some Bowden cable - the manual states that you just pull it off manually - if only!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to remove a siezed water pump impellor 7 years 5 months ago #14683

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Great idea. Thanks

How to remove a siezed water pump impellor 7 years 5 months ago #14688

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
As the saying goes "necessity is the mother of invention" It's a sin that we have to go to this extent to remove the impellers. I remember our member Tyler coming up with thin fingered puller arms for the 2 legged puller. Personally I don't like either since it takes a chance on warping the impeller.

So now that you have it off, how will you "fix" the issue so that you don't have to use this method to remove it the next time. Was it stuck on because of corrosion or is it a tapered shaft that was overtightened during initial assemby? What do you see as the real issue and what do you think the "cure" should be.

I say kudos to you for getting it off. You're obviously good at "thinking outside of the box". I'd be very interested in hearing your answer for the cure.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

How to remove a siezed water pump impellor 7 years 5 months ago #14694

• Neville
  • Neville's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
All I was trying to do was replace the water pump seal. The impeller sits at the bottom of a fairly deep channel with no room to get anything behind it to pull it off. The reasons my impeller was stuck was due to the "O" ring on the shaft getting stuck to the impeller - it would rock a little from side to side but was impossible to remove - I even broke one of the vanes (see photo) from trying to pull it off by attaching two small mole grips. The reason for the "O" ring sticking was difficult to isolate but may have been due to corrosion of the impeller from use of insufficient inhibitor in the coolant - I replaced the coolant when I first serviced the bike after I acquired it in 85 but can't remember if there was evidence of lack of anti-freeze/inhibitor in the coolant - it was too long ago! I managed to get a replacement impeller from the MCG Z1300 online shop in Germany (highly recommended if you need good quality parts) - I have bought their coolant hoses and replacement brake discs as well. See pic of new impeller below:

I put some grease on the "O" ring to try and prevent the same issue recurring when I fitted the new impeller - hopefully, I won't need to do this again!

Thanks for the feedback - always appreciated
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds