• Page:

TOPIC:

Crankcase Studs (should I replace) 7 years 6 months ago #14532

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
My top end has been taken to the machinist and now I am preparing for when she comes back.

I have read that the crankcase studs can break if the head has been off several times as they lose there elasticity, So I am wondering what the consensus is on replacing those bolts? I don't want to change them if I don't have to but I also wouldn't want one of them to snap inside the crankcase either. I know the head has been off before due to the pry-bar marks on the base by one or more of its previous owners.
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crankcase Studs (should I replace) 7 years 6 months ago #14579

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
No bites?!! No problems! B)

Anyway for interests sake here is the link to the technical article I was reading on the Engine Builder website titled: -
Perfect Engine Sealing Starts With Proper Head Bolt Use
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Last edit: by Yaegunp.

Crankcase Studs (should I replace) 7 years 6 months ago #14580

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Wish I could help but I just don't have the experience there. In the past I never worried beyond making sure everything was clean.

Thanks for the article!
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Crankcase Studs (should I replace) 7 years 6 months ago #14581

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
As a matter of practice, NO, you do not need to replace the studs unless they have been clearly damaged. The kz1300 is not any different to the 4 cylinder air cooled bikes in that regard. Just make sure the threads are clean and that you torque them correctly and recheck after a while.
1981 KZ1300
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Crankcase Studs (should I replace) 7 years 6 months ago #14582

• 6cylinder
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
always change the studs and bolts when ever you are doing head work.. every motor that I ever worked on (and that is many) always went with new hardware.. just my opinion.. always on volkswagens and porche's
millers auto electric

Crankcase Studs (should I replace) 7 years 6 months ago #14583

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Just some thoughts for you to ponder.
First, the service manual doesn't identify an issue such that you are required to replace the cylinder studs. 6cylinder has made it a practice to change out engine hardware and it's not a bad practice. For the record, Volkswagen requires the cylinder head bolts be change out on the diesels because after retorquing 3 times the stretch applied to the head bolts would yield the material so that the applied clamping force was not as much as required. Normally, the stretch on any fastener never takes it to the yield point of the material of the fastener.

Second, One of the main reasons you should consider changing out fasteners that hold aluminum parts together is that all fasteners are steel based and have a sacrificial coating on them of either zinc plating or zinc dichromate. The purpose of the coating is to protect the fastener and the base material from corrosion. If the zinc or zinc dichromate coating is gone or missing from the fastener, then the coating has done its job and the fastener should be replaced.

Last edit: by Kawboy.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds