Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Timing Chain Confusiion 7 years 7 months ago #14308

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

Lucien-Harpress wrote: First things first- make sure EVERYTHING is disconnected. Simple thing, but it's good to cover the basics. When yousay you've removed the water pump drive shaft, I'm guessing it's the one running left to right? You've also dropped the small chain that runs it as well, correct? (The shaft that runs front to back between cylinders 3 and 4 can be left alone).

If all that is correct, then I'm a fan of using a large putty knife to get in between the crankcase and the bores to help break things loose. I'd start at the back where the water pump and (if a 79-89) ignition timing stuff lives, as there's more room to get under and pry. I made sure to get right where the gasket was, tapped it a few times with a hammer to get it in between the parts, then gently pried a little. You may have to work your way around the entire joint before something busts loose, but once it does it should lift off relatively easily.

Combine the above with judicious use of a rubber mallet, and you should be okay.

Thank you Lucien it worked a treat. I sprayed WD-40 down the engine bolt holes as well and that visibly softened the gasket up.

Now it's time for the old gasket clean-up and off to the machinist to see what he thinks of my top-end. It has some pitting on the faces and I'm not sure if the valves will need to be replaced. Probably needs a hone as well.
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timing Chain Confusiion 7 years 7 months ago #14311

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Cool beans. Let us know when you get to the rebuild part of this project. I've got a tip or two on getting the pistons and rings back into the bores. Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Timing Chain Confusiion 7 years 7 months ago #14319

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Good to see you are making progress. Glad you found a competent machinist.

Timing Chain Confusiion 7 years 7 months ago #14321

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Lucien-Harpress wrote: Cool beans. Let us know when you get to the rebuild part of this project. I've got a tip or two on getting the pistons and rings back into the bores. Good luck!

Attachments:

Timing Chain Confusiion 7 years 7 months ago #14322

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Ledkz1300 wrote: Good to see you are making progress. Glad you found a competent machinist.

Is good to make progress at least then my poor old head gets a break from being scratched continuously. Not out of the woods yet though and will keep you updated.

Timing Chain Confusiion 4 years 4 months ago #25487

• Mnmike
  • Thank you received: 0
I was hoping that somebody could help me with my timing chain sprocket removing that from the water pump shaft they say there is a pin or a knock pin on or by the sprocket which I cannot find. I am in the process of taking my cylinder block off. Much help needed thanks

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds