Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

OEM Head Gasket - Best place to buy?? 7 years 8 months ago #14191

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I've read quite a bit about using an OEM head gasket and the perils you may experience if you don't. I have an aftermarket one (Athena) that came with my gasket set and the difference between it and the one that I just removed is extreme, the one I took out is way sturdier and easy to tell the quality difference.

I spotted an OEM one on Ebay that would set me back $AUD330. Can anyone recommend a reputable place to acquire one for a bit less money?
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Yaegunp.

OEM Head Gasket - Best place to buy?? 7 years 8 months ago #14199

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Our member Tyler had a custom head gasket made by Comitec for $79 U.S. and he was quite happy with it See his post here

kz1300.com/index.php/forum/welcome-mat/1...asket?start=12#13200

OEM Head Gasket - Best place to buy?? 7 years 7 months ago #14260

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

Kawboy wrote: Our member Tyler had a custom head gasket made by Comitec for $79 U.S. and he was quite happy with it See his post here

kz1300.com/index.php/forum/welcome-mat/1...asket?start=12#13200

Had to laugh at this one Kawboy, this is the reply I received back from Comitec. Just out of principle I wouldn't buy from them $US245 before the cost of the head gasket, jeeeeez!! :woohoo:

Hi Paul,

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. My name is Renata and I am in charge of international orders. Here is some information regarding international orders:

Bank wire transfer is the only payment option we offer and there is a $45.00 wire fee. I have attached the wire transfer payment form. I have also attached a dealer application in case you have a business, if not just fill out name, address, etc. Unless specified otherwise we will ship UPS, we do not ship USPS. UPS International costs approximately $200.00, but the shipping charges will go up depending on weight and dimensions of order and also location. We also ship FedEx, BAX GLOBAL or DHL but only if you have an account set up with them.
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

OEM Head Gasket - Best place to buy?? 7 years 7 months ago #14266

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
$200 to ship a head gasket? They must be out of their minds. $45 to receive a wire transfer? To call the bank to see if it arrived? It can cost up to that much to send one depending on where you are sending it and the dollar amounts and exchange... so in reality it will be $90 for a wire transfer fee. Sending a wire transfer that costs more than the dollar amount you are sending makes no sense at all.

OEM Head Gasket - Best place to buy?? 7 years 7 months ago #14267

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
There are some really weird shipping costs out there alright, and some of it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Last winter I bought a new bike now that I'm a pensioner and wanted a new jacket to go with it.
I could have bought one from the UK for $800 US or buy one from Pakistan via Czechoslavakia for $180 US. So I took the risk with the second option thru ebay and it all went very smoothly , with the jacket arriving 3 weeks later. And it was shipped for free.

Cruzinimage was selling OEM gasket sets for the 1300 a few years back for around $100 for the complete set. I used the head gasket from that set for one bike I have and also used his big bore kit and therefore base gasket and head gasket on my other bike and I haven't had any problems with either.

www.athenaparts.com/eng/products/view/11...cylinder-head-gasket 79 euro
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Last edit: by tackelhappy. Reason: update

OEM Head Gasket - Best place to buy?? 7 years 7 months ago #14268

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
I also have the gasket set and carb kit from the same seller. I've not used the head gasket because I ended up with a new motor but the carb kit was fine.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds